My Pictures - disappeared? RRS feed

• Question

• When attempting to access My Pictures, the library shows it as empty and has the message "This Folder is Unavailable". I cannot find any of the files in a search, I can see hidden folders, and because windows is installed on a relatively small SSD there are no restore points before today. I have installed scan software, and cannot find any real trace of any of the files anywhere. Even the picture folder I had on my hard drive is just gone. Am I just out of luck here? And if so, why is windows telling me the folder is "Unavailable" rather than just saying it doesn't exist?

And just to clarify, I have all of my library folders moved to the D drive, and when I try to create a new folder in the old My Pictures folder, it gives me error 0x80070003

• Edited by Fangoroth Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:15 PM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hmmm, so if I'm more or less right then in some way I'm wrong... but you're not going to say in what way? So much for trying to work out how you've set things up to determine how things might have broken!

In terms of the files being deleted, if they have been then you could always try something like http://diskdigger.org/ (haven't used it personally, don't know how well it works) which if they have been deleted should be able to find the files on your D: drive and recover them, as long as you haven't written too much new data to the drive that would have overwritten the deleted files.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:33 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:44 PM

All replies

• Right click on the Pictures library, properties, and see what Library locations are listed. Are all of them valid and are you able to directly access them?

When you say about creating a new folder in your old My Pictures folder, are you talking about creating a folder in Libraries \ Pictures or in c:\Users\<user>\My Pictures?

Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:15 PM
  • The location I had set up is still there, but says that the folder is unavailable. And My Pictures folder was moved from the C: drive to the D:. Attempting to create a new folder in the folder I cannot access from library view results in the aforementioned error code.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:05 PM
  • So if I understand what you're saying correctly... you've created a new folder on D:\ called My Pictures, and within the properties of your Pictures library you've set it to point to that new folder? Within the Pictures library properties that is the only folder listed? If you try to create a new folder either via the Pictures library, or directly via the My Pictures folder on the D: drive you get the error message?
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 4:21 PM
  • More or less yeah. I don't know if the files have all been deleted or somehow moved where a search can't find them or what. I'm leaning toward deletion, but those error messages have me second guessing that assumption.
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:10 PM
  • Hmmm, so if I'm more or less right then in some way I'm wrong... but you're not going to say in what way? So much for trying to work out how you've set things up to determine how things might have broken!

In terms of the files being deleted, if they have been then you could always try something like http://diskdigger.org/ (haven't used it personally, don't know how well it works) which if they have been deleted should be able to find the files on your D: drive and recover them, as long as you haven't written too much new data to the drive that would have overwritten the deleted files.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Thursday, September 5, 2013 11:33 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 8:44 PM