Windows do not maintain size and position after screen lock, change user, or sleep RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1. Please, what can I do to make Windows 7 do not modify the Windows size and position? Single monitor on Displayport. This is absurd and ridiculous - sorry the words, but this is so annoying.

Thank you for any help.

Monday, June 30, 2014 5:47 AM

All replies

• Under clean boot configuration - same problem.

Under security mode and clean boot - same thing happens.

Come on Microsoft - this is really a shame, big time failure of your "Windows" operating system that cannot handle the most basic windows configuration. 

Maybe this is a "feature" induced from your little friends at NSA to this buggy shitty software. THANK YOU!

Monday, June 30, 2014 3:17 PM
  • Here is the solution for your issue.

Step #1:

Open your start menu and in the search bar type in regedit and hit enter. UAC will pop-up asking if you would like to allow this program to make changes to the computer, just hit Yes.

Step #2:
    In the left pane of regedit you will see a list of registry keys;
    - Click the little white arrow beside HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG to expand this key.
    - Expand System > CurrentControlSet > Control > VIDEO

Step #3:
    Now you should see one or mroe keys with random numbers and letters, for example my video key is {F92BFB9B-59E9-4B65-8AA3-D004C26BA193}.
    If you expand these keys you will see another key in each of these named 0000.

Simply click on these 0000 keys to see their values, you are looking for the one that has multiple values in it, for example Attach.RelativeX, Attach.RelativeY, etc.
    The proper 0000 key should also have a child key (which is your monitor's registry settings, yay!), mine is named Mon12345678 but yours may be different.

Step #4:
    Now for the registry changes, since 0000 and the Mon12345678 keys have the same settings and values, I changed both of them to be identical. I'm not entirely sure which one windows 7 uses, but it doesn't hurt to change them both just to be sure.
    In order to change a registry key's values;
    - right click on the Name of the value and select Modify... 
    where it says Base select the Decimal option
    - input the new numerical value you wish to enter in the Value data: text field
    The settings to change are;
    Attach.RelativeX - this is your screens X resolution, mine is set to 1360
    Attach.RelativeY - this is your screens Y resolution, mine is set to 768
    DefaultSettings.XResolution - this is your screens default X resolution, mine is set to 1360
    DefaultSettings.YResolution - this is your screens default Y resolution, mine is set to 768
    Step #5:

You are done! Simply Exit and your registry settings will automatically be saved.

*Note* A system reboot may be required before these settings take effect.

Mark as Answer if it's worked. Thanks. Balamurugan_Subramaniyan

Monday, June 30, 2014 6:35 PM
  • Thank you,

But in my w7x64sp1 systems, the single reg_sz key (under hkey_current_config>system>currentcontrolset>control>video) is empty. I have two issues about the window configuration: the system do not keep the window size, and if I lock the session, every window that was with all the height of the screen is diminished by the height of the hidden taskbar.

The taskbar is hidden because every milimeter of useful screen estate matters. The systems are used under heavy engineer use, and this window problem messes up all the workspace of the applications, this take a lot of time to reconfigure every single time I put the system to sleep. There are dozens of windows inside the app to reconfigure every time.

My display is a LG ips on displayport, and I use only kepler nvidia quadros as display interface, every single driver is at the latest stable release.

Come on Microsoft, this is a HUGE SHAME!!!

Monday, June 30, 2014 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

This may be related some corrupt system files, I suggest to  fix  the corrupt files in this way:

To do this, click Start, type Command Prompt or cmd in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: sfc /scannow.  As below:

Detail can be seen:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Regards

Wade Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Wade__Liu Friday, July 4, 2014 8:01 AM
    Friday, July 4, 2014 8:00 AM
  • This wasn't any corrupt files, but the problem was not present anymore, after (this week) latest MS Windows patches, and NVidia (340.52) drivers. I'm not sure if was the patches or the drivers, because there are nothing explicit on either documentation.

Thank you anyway. The only issues that remain is the taskbar resizing all windows after screen lock / change user, and the task bar icons that mysteriously change position, but those I can live with.

Thank you all for trying to help.

• Marked as answer by andredms Friday, July 18, 2014 1:21 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by andredms Saturday, August 23, 2014 1:32 PM
    Friday, July 18, 2014 1:21 PM
  • After this week latest patches (08/21/2014), everything back to "normal" - all open windows resize to VGA after sleep. Nvidia drivers are the same, wasn't updated, what confirms this is a MS Windows problem.

This is horrendously annoying.

What a shame this MS junk OS!

Saturday, August 23, 2014 1:29 PM
  • I had the same problem with my new Asus monitors (one via DVI, another DisplayPort).  I solved it by installing the monitor manufacturer's driver for the monitor, instead of the 'Generic PnP Monitor' driver.

1. Go to the manufacturer's web site and download the driver for your OS.  (I had to expand the .zip file.)

2. Right click on Desktop -> Screen resolution -> Select monitor (if multiple) -> Advanced settings -> Monitor tab -> Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver -> Browse my computer for driver software

After I did this for both monitors, my windows retain their sizes and positions through sleep / awake cycle.

Good luck!

Friday, September 12, 2014 4:14 PM