Windows 7 the Start menu customization RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just asking, WHY the windows menu systems cannot be changed to something like WinXP?
    Why all the old and good is gone? I would like to make the start menu liveable, but no.
    Customization menu is not even near customization. You can only turn off some menus.

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6783/windows7t.png

Is there anything what I can do, besides continue using XP.
    This is only one of the many problems that new interface has (Vista & Win7).
    This kind of setup may work for first timers but not for me. Nothing is in a logical place.

There should be someting like "Pro check box" what turns all the nonsense off.
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 3:19 PM

Answers

• You could:

1.) Hunker down, give it some time and see if you still feel the way you do after a week or two of feeling out all its features.

Or

2.) Buy a program called Vista Start Menu. I believe there is another effort to make a Classic Start Menu for 7 as well. Also payware, I believe.
    http://www.vistastartmenu.com/index.html
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:46 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:51 AM

All replies

• Welcome to the club. :-)  I would like to be able to configure the start menu more to my liking as well.
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 11:42 PM
  • You could:

1.) Hunker down, give it some time and see if you still feel the way you do after a week or two of feeling out all its features.

Or

2.) Buy a program called Vista Start Menu. I believe there is another effort to make a Classic Start Menu for 7 as well. Also payware, I believe.
    http://www.vistastartmenu.com/index.html
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Thursday, June 11, 2009 3:46 PM
    Thursday, June 11, 2009 12:51 AM
  • I don't really want to buy more stuff to customize what ws removed from this version.  I already bought the DeskSoft Window Manager to do what every previous version of Windows was capable of doing, remembering individual window positions.

It's annoying they removed a bunch of stuff from the "improved" user interface.  This clearly indicates that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Oh, and I've been using Windows 7 since the beta came out, I don't think I'll change my mind at this point.

Thursday, June 11, 2009 1:00 AM
  • JohnWill wrote:
    I don't really want to buy more stuff to customize what ws removed from this version.

I think you can not change the default behaviour of the start menu.
    But you can emulate the classic start menu.

Saturday, June 13, 2009 12:08 PM
  • JohnWill wrote:
    I don't really want to buy more stuff to customize what ws removed from this version.

I think you can not change the default behaviour of the start menu.
    But you can emulate the classic start menu .

Thanks, I'm going to give that a try! :-)  That may be sufficient for what I want.

Saturday, June 13, 2009 4:02 PM
  • Count me in as another majorly annoyed Windows 7 tester who HATES the start menu.  That, plus "Create New Folder" now missing from the Organize menu, and the new icon-based taskbar that is a major PITA, and I will NOT be buying W7 when it comes out for real.

I'll use Vista until it's no longer viable (I'm one of the few who actually LIKE Vista), and after that I will make my complete and total transition to Linux.  Or I'll buy a Mac.

Rob
    Monday, June 15, 2009 4:51 PM
  • Windows vista and 7 feature the same start menu as XP. Classic menu is gone for good. Just focus on improvements for the new start menu
    Monday, June 15, 2009 6:40 PM
  • Just focus on improvements for the new start menu
    Gee, that's about as lame a response as I can imagine!  Don't worry about what was removed for no reason, but rather revel in the ability to make the desktop icons any size you want just by spinning the mouse wheel.  Think about the useless things, not the ones that actually had a purpose?  RIGHT!

Monday, June 15, 2009 6:53 PM
  • Is there anything what I can do, besides continue using XP.
    You can try Seven Classic Start - http://www.sevenclassicstart.com
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:45 PM
  • By the time we get through buying stuff that's been omitted from Windows 7, we could have purchased multiple copies of XP or Vista. 
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 2:51 PM
  • You could move on. Get with the times. Are you one of those who freaked out over the digital TV switch? Seems so,
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:28 PM

• You could move on. Get with the times. Are you one of those who freaked out over the digital TV switch? Seems so,

grrr.  No.  I'm one of those who still has wheels on his car.  That doesn't make me a caveman.  It just means your car goes nowhere.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 3:35 PM
  • Windows vista and 7 feature the same start menu as XP. Classic menu is gone for good. Just focus on improvements for the new start menu

This is assuming that the changes to the menu and removal of classic style is an improvement.

They aren't, it isn't, and you should know what they say about asumptions.  (ok, hadda put that last in)

Those who think that the average clueless user is going to search for programs... er... you need to get out and actually
    go try and support those said users, but onsite.

My customers are split about 50/50 with classic/newtype menus.

No issues with them doing a new style, but have classic as an option is good for when the users screws something up.
    Consider it "Safe Mode" for menus. 

oh, as for going to buy other products to put that functionality back in?
    Already need to get antivirus & antispyware.  Buy more *needed* stuff?
    Oh I'm sure the retired folks are just gonna jump on that.

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:05 PM

Actually, this statement really requires no further comment.  However, change for the sake of change is not necessarily a change for the better, I guess some folks have a hard time understanding that. :-)

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 5:53 PM
  • I don't know why people are hooked on that classic menu which I tried out on XP and seemed less efficient with some items on the desktop and some on the panel.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:53 AM
  • I don't know why people are hooked on that classic menu which I tried out on XP and seemed less efficient with some items on the desktop and some on the panel.

For the same reason that when you go to the supermarket there is chocolate and vanilla in the ice cream case.  One size (or flavor) doesn't necessarily fit all.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 12:25 PM
  • I was can't see why people are hooked on that flavor when it tastes bad and is less efficient.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:13 PM
  • I was heartbroken years ago, when I could no longer get a 3-speed shift on the steering column...

But, I adapted.<G>

Doc
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:15 PM
  • Gosh, more really insightful comments.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:18 PM
  • Yes, insightful they are.  But, some really need to get over this classic menu issue, and move on. 

Be an agent for change, rather than crying all the time.

Doc

Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:22 PM
  • The classic menu was like a rotary dial phone that my grandmother was used to.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:30 PM
  • Worse yet, I was at a place that had phones with "no dials".  When you picked up the handset, a voice on the distant end said "Central - number please".

THAT is what the classic menu is like...

Doc
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:33 PM
  • If you guys are considering a career in comedy, don't give up your day job.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:39 PM
  • At least it wasn't telegraph STOP
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 3:42 PM
  •   -.-.  .-..  .-  ...  ...  ..  -.-.  +  --  .  -.  ..-  +  ..  ...  +  ....  ..  ...  -  ---  .-.  -.--  +  ...  -  ---  .--.

-..  ---  -.-.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/morsecodedeconv.html
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:30 PM
  • I'm going to try and decode this...

Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:34 PM
  • Yes, it is a thing of the past.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:45 PM
  • If you guys are considering a career in comedy, don't give up your day job.

I wonder how many Windows Desktop Experience MVPs feel the same as you?  I would imagine that you would propose FileManager be brought back? 

So, I do not see the point of continuing to beat a dead horse, especially when you should be espousing the benefits. 

Be an agent for change, JohnWill.  And, then maybe you can have a chuckle or two.

Doc
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Yes, it is a thing of the past.

..  +  .-..  ..  -.-  .  +  -  ....  .  +  -.  .  .--  +  --  .  -.  ..-  +  .-  -.  -..  +  -  .-  ...  -.-  +  -...  .-  .-. 

-..  ---  -.-.
    • Proposed as answer by ONE ZERO Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:52 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:49 PM
  • Thank you!

Doc
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:53 PM
  • .. / -- ..- ... - / .- --. .-. . . / .-- .. - .... / -.-- --- ..- / - .... . -.-- / .- .-. . / -- --- .-. . / -.-. --- -. ...- . -. .. .- -. -
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 5:57 PM
  •   ..  +  .-  .-..  .--  .-  -.--  ...  +  -  .-.  -.--  +  -  ---  +  ..-  ...  .  +  -  ....  .  +  -.  .  .--  +  ..-.  .  .-  -  ..-  .-.  .  ...  +  .-  -.  -..  +  ..  -.  -  .  .-.  ..-.  .-  -.-.  .  ...  +  +  .-  +  .-..  ---  -  +  ---  ..-.  +  .--.  .  ---  .--.  .-..  .  +  .-  .-.  .  +  .-.  .  ...  ..  ...  -  .-  -.  -  +  -  ---  +  -.-.  ....  .-  -.  --.  .  +  .-  -.  -..  +  .--  ..  .-..  .-..  +  .-  .-..  .--  .-  -.--  ...  +  ....  .-  ...-  .  +  -  .-.  ---  ..-  -...  .-..  .  +  .-  -..  .-  .--.  -  ..  -.  --. 

-..  ---  -.-.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:01 PM
  •   ..  +  .-  .-..  .--  .-  -.--  ...  +  -  .-.  -.--  +  -  ---  +  ..-  ...  .  +  -  ....  .  +  -.  .  .--  +  ..-.  .  .-  -  ..-  .-.  .  ...  +  .-  -.  -..  +  ..  -.  -  .  .-.  ..-.  .-  -.-.  .  ...  +  +  .-  +  .-..  ---  -  +  ---  ..-.  +  .--.  .  ---  .--.  .-..  .  +  .-  .-.  .  +  .-.  .  ...  ..  ...  -  .-  -.  -  +  -  ---  +  -.-.  ....  .-  -.  --.  .  +  .-  -.  -..  +  .--  ..  .-..  .-..  +  .-  .-..  .--  .-  -.--  ...  +  ....  .-  ...-  .  +  -  .-.  ---  ..-  -...  .-..  .  +  .-  -..  .-  .--.  -  ..  -.  --. 

-..  ---  -.-.

.. - / .--- ..- ... - / - .- -.- . ... / .- / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / --. . - - .. -. --. / ..- ... . -.. / - --- .-.-.-
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:12 PM
  • A lot of users (and some MVPs) are simply afraid [of change].  They just need knee pads and helmets for a couple of days.  Once they learn they won't get hurt, they'll be fine.

Doc

Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:21 PM
  • Change is good.
    I think I know why so many people miss the old versions and it wasn't necassarily becouse they were easier or harder to use but they were more amusing and had a lightharted sense of humer to make everyday tasks more enjoyable for example waiting for my computer to load had an AVI of a searching flashlight to take the away the seriousness of computing yet still being productive and that may be something JOHNWILL could understand.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:33 PM
  • If JohnWill does not understand, maybe his MVP status will be removed.  Perhaps, that is what he is concerned with...

The search dog, and the flashlight, and the hour glass, while entertaining for a while, did get old. 

Doc
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:42 PM
  • Your probably right about the dog becouse he was the first puppy I had to kill whenever I installed XP although the interface was a bit more cheary while seven is rather bleak but not nearly as bleak as vista which even had a "dark and sinister" appearance.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 6:49 PM
  • The Windows Vista and Windows Seven "Start Menu" is less usefull than XP Start Menu. More than 50% of users have the "All Programs" menu ordered. For example "Web Applications", "Developer Tools", "Office", etc. Expanding "All Programs" and selecting with the mouse the app folder and then clicking on the application shortcut is more quickly than open start menu, put your hands on the keyboard and typing the name of the app. Users want to see and expand All Programs often to see programs and utilities installed in the PC. When i go to another computer, i want to see EXPANDED all the programs installed. Not expanding the "All Programs" menú makes navigating and scrolling through programs in a little listbox more slowly, complicate, frustating and desesperating. Is not usefull. For those who not want to search or type the Vista/Seven Start Menu is a disaster.

I dont want "Classic Menú" in Windows Vista or Seven. I only want to EXPAND "All Programs" in Start Menu. VistaStartMenu application does not solve this and is not free. But VistaStartMenu tests shows that expanding the apps menus is more usefull, intuitive and quickly to access to an application.

I do not care if someone thinks that i'm slave on the past. I also think that comments of that kind does not solve problems. I also think that a lot of users are good and very accomodate with the new start menu. But there are another lot of users that are not good and Microsoft will bring an option to acomodate Start Menu to all users, not to a lot.

I'm working hours and hours with Vista for more than two years and i attempted to focus on improvements of the new Start Menu but i dont found any improvements. I also read guide, users guides, vista desktop usability guides, but i continue frustate with the new Start Menu. Also Windows Seven does not correct this problem.

Another problem is that is imposible to order "All Programs" in Start Menu. If you uncheck the option to not order it alphabetically, any time you change an apllication shorcut, an application folder or install/uninstall a program, the "All Programs" menu is ordered alphabetically. This is another frustrating thing in Vista and Seven, even more if you takes half an hour ordering it in your own manner. I also report this in Beta 1 of Windows Vista, and in Beta 2, and in RC, and in RTM, and in RTM Service Pack 1, and in RTM Service Pack 2, and in Windows Vista Beta 1, RC, but nothing. This bug continues.

I think that Aero Peaks, Aero Snaps, Aero Milks, Aero Folks and all Aero adds are usefull things, but please, Microsoft, correct first the bugs and the makes Aeros things. I prefer a Windows wihout this Aeros things but with the possibility to order and expand "All Programs" in Start Menu, and the ability to customize the Windows Explorer Toolbar like in Windows XP, an the ability to order and catalog music like in Windows Media Player 10. Windows Media Player 11 and 12 is not valid and not usefull to catalog music.

I will continue with XP until this things are corrected and the are a lot of people that things like me. You can think that i'm still stayed in the past, but also think that with XP i'm using a more customizable OS, with the posibility to order and expand All Programs in Start Menu, with the possibility to customize mi Windows Explorer Toolbar and with posibility to catalog music that a Windows Media Player 11 or 12 user can do. A Windows Vista or Seven user can't do this things.

Thanks for all,
    Javier Álvarez.
    Madrid. Spain.
    Europe.
    • Proposed as answer by JaviAl Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:02 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:02 PM
  • Gosh, I have to revise my opinion here, there is intelligent life in this thread. :-)  Somebody that has actually thought about the problem and doesn't just post whatever nutty comment that comes to mind.  I really had my doubts for about a dozen posts that such life existed here.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:08 PM
  • If JohnWill does not understand, maybe his MVP status will be removed.  Perhaps, that is what he is concerned with...

Yep, I'm really worried that somehow not liking a "feature" of Windows 7 will surely lead me to ruin.  Of course, if you had a clue, or could even buy one, you'd have some idea what the MVP program is actually about.  Here's your free clue:  Being an MVP is not just for people that say yes to any decision that is made on a Microsoft product.  Gee, at the MVP summit sessions, the real developers of these products were very interested in what we had to say and listened.  Not so the majority of this crowd, you're too busy patting yourselves on the back for the endless stream of "witty" comments.  Pardon me if I don't feel compelled to respond to each jab, just isn't worth my time.

Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:18 PM
  • I wouldn't even waste my time responding to that dig.

On the other hand has anyone noticed that technically the longhorn type of start menu is not as buggy - when trying to rearrange items with the exponential type sometimes you would have to try twice or the menu and all the open items would crash or collapse or an item would appear to be stuck on the screen. If the longhorn menu is not as easy to use it is certainly more reliable.
    But please don't try this without a scroll wheel, in this case use XP. 

Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:44 PM
  • Yep, not worth responding to.  Most all of us will move forward with the new interface, a few others will not.

Doc
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:53 PM
  • Just think about this for one minute. Microsoft came up with a good one with the new menu.
    Easier touse and less buggy.
    If I had this plus could disable my taskbar previews like I could with vista and 7 beta perfection would be perfected!
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:06 PM
  • JohnWill thinks he is on the inside and in-the-know.  If he only knew... 

Doc
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 11:47 PM