none
Backup Using Child Partition Backup to Tape RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded from DPM 2007 to DPM 2010.  I use DPM to backup a number of Microsoft Hyper-V virtual servers.  I have the DPM client installed on the Hyper-v host system and back up the virtual systems Using Child Partition Backup.  The protection group I have set up is configured to do a daily backup to disk and a weekly backup to tape.  The backup to disk works great but the backup to tape jobs simply do not show up in the scheduled jobs.  This did work in DPM 2007.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Orin

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 5:01 PM

Answers

• Strange, pls do

.\DPMJobsQ.PS1 -reportfilters #should give list of all filters

.\DPMJobsQ.Ps1 -filtername <your filter> -debug #gives more info.

On question how much data to display just enter 3 or so.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hi Orin,

likely the filter you use does not show this.
    To make sure create a filter like "AllScheduledTape" or something.
    Select from 'Today' to furthest possible date, in this case >1 week because you do weekly.
    Upper left: Deselect all types and select "Tape Backup" only.
    Lower left: Deselect all and select "Scheduled" only.

This should show the scheduled tape jobs only (it works for me).

Monday, October 18, 2010 11:08 AM
  • Thanks for the input but it did not help.

Yesterday I scheduled a tape backup to run at 5:00 pm and I could see it in the scheduled jobs.  This morning the job had not run and there was no sign that it was ever there, no failure or completed messages.  I tried scheduling a job for later today and it is not showing up in the scheduled jobs with either "todays jobs" filter or the new tape backup filter I created.

In addition if I go to the recovery tab and select one of my Child Partition Snapshots and select recover the ony option I have is Copy to a network folder.  The option to copy to tape is not there and I know I could do it when I was using DPM2007.  In the libraries tab my tape drive is showing Enabled.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Hi Orin,

For the 2nd; Big sorry but I have to ask; the 'Child parition' you wanted to copy to tape does that protectiongroup has at least 1 library assigned?

About the jobs, very strange....
    Could you download: http://cid-b03306b628ab886f.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/DPMjobs-v2.9.zip
    (if not already)
    Create/modify a filter selecting From 7 days ago to Today and in the filter option section select 'All' for everything in the "Jobs", "Protection" and "Other" tabs.
    Then run .\DPMJobsQ.Ps1 -filtername <name you created>.

I like to look at the CSV output file if you can give me the name of the data source that should run at 05:00 but never did and disappeared entirely. Can zip & mail to ruudb@microsoft.com. Will attempt to find any evidence of....

Thx

Wednesday, November 3, 2010 2:14 PM
  • Yes the protection group has a library assigned.  After some playing arount I figured out that how you select something and what you select makes a difference as to if you have the copy to tape option.  For example if select "All Protected HyperV Data" in the left pane I can right click on a Snapshot in the right pane and select recover and I have the tape option.  If I click on the snapshot in the left pane and try to recover the only option is to recover to disk.

I still can't figure out why my scheduled tape jobs are not working.

I tried running the script but it used the "Today's jobs" filter instead of the one I created.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 2:41 PM
  • Strange, pls do

.\DPMJobsQ.PS1 -reportfilters #should give list of all filters

.\DPMJobsQ.Ps1 -filtername <your filter> -debug #gives more info.

On question how much data to display just enter 3 or so.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 3:02 PM