Hash in equation disappearing and causing unnecessary indents RRS feed

• Question

• I can type this in word equations:

So the cursor is after 'c'. If I hit Enter and type 'sds', it takes this form:

So '#' is disappeared and somehow the stuff looks like aligned in two column format, though its not. Trying to type in # again in first line exactly above first 's' on second line makes alignment messy and in fact '#' never gets typed.

I must be missing something. Or this is a bug?

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 7:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Mahesha,

Based on my test and research, this is an expected behavior as "The # is a code that triggers insertion of an equation array with a # argument separator. The text that follows the separator is flushed to the right of the page. This allows the equation to remain in display mode and to track margin changes automatically."

For more details, hopefully the relevant description in the blogs below can be helpful:

Equation Numbering in Office 2016

More on Equation Numbering

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 3:16 AM
  • So I am supposed to type \# (slash and then #) inside equation editor for typing # right?
    (Also thanks for the link, was an interesting read.)
    Sunday, September 24, 2017 12:00 PM
  • Hi Mahesha,

Could you please tell us where you saw the method of typing \#?

I read through the articles we have discussed above but cannot find the relevant description. I also tested with \#, the # still won't show up.

Based on my understanding, if we type the equation followed by a # and hit Enter, the # character will disappear, acting as a marker to flush what follows the # to the right margin. 

In this situation, to type # in a equation with two lines, we can use the brackets below to avoid manually hitting Enter:

This can enable the # to show up as follows:

Hope my clarification is clear and helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 25, 2017 2:20 AM
  • Yes, my mistake, \# does not work. I thought of \ on my own as its usual case to use \ to de-mark escape sequence in programming languages. I tried \# and then hitting space made slash disappear but kept back #. I thought that it made a trick. But I did not tried hitting enter after that. Now tried and # is gone.

Anyways your trick works. What is the technical difference between 

and 

?

For, me it still does not work with first ,that is empty (,), but works in second, that is (n,k).

Also how can I get second (n,k) without touching mouse? I can get first by typing opening and closing brackets "()" and then hitting enter inside. But not able to get second from keyboard

Wednesday, September 27, 2017 4:48 PM