locked
System Center 2012 connecting to SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 CU6 RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    This is now driving me COMPLETELY mad!!

    I'm trying to install SCCM on a 2008 R2 Standard server with SP1. The SQL server is on 2008 x64 Standard with SP1. The SQL server is 2008 R2 with SP1 and CU6.

    Ports on the SQL server are set as:

    ALL the checks are fine, apart from the AD extensions, but when I get to the install part, it says "Could not connect or execute SQL query. Click the View Log button for more information". The log shows:

    and

    The account being used to install is a full domain admin account, and has sysadmin privileges set on the SQL server....

    Please HELP!!!!!

    Chris

    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 5:27 AM

Answers

  • take out the 4022 just leave 1433, and see what happens.

    • Marked as answer by ChrisFairley Wednesday, May 30, 2012 11:23 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:36 PM

All replies

  • Check the SPN record or run the sql services under local system and the SPN record will create automatically.

    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb735885.aspx


    Dennis de Roo

    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:29 AM
  • Hi,

    Try enabling named pipes in SQL Server Configuration Manager. That solved it for me :) Check Niall's guide for how to do it: http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/486-how-can-i-install-sql-server-2008-in-windows-server-2008/


    Website: www.danielclasson.com | LinkedIn: Daniel Classon

    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 7:54 AM
  • Is the site server also a local admin on the remote SQL server?

    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 1:44 PM
  • Hi All

    I've checked the SPN and it appears to be fine...DB6 is the SQL server I chucked together to get this working so I don't have to keep restarting our live server...

    named pipes are enabled, and yes, the site server is a local admin on the remote server. There is no firewall on on either server.

    I installed the SQL Management Studio on the SCCM server and can connect to the SQL server instance....but SCCM install fails at the first step, even though the prereqs say its fine.

    AARRGGHH!!!

    Any other ideas?


    ChrisFairley

    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:00 PM
  • Sorry, your images did not come through.

    Why are you restarting your servers? ConfigMgr installation doesn't require any restarts and neither does SQL Server.

    Is your SQL Server instance running as local SYSTEM or as a domain user?

    If a domain user, did you set the SPN for that domain user? As a sanity check, can you post the command(s) you used here to verify.


    Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | Twitter @JasonSandys

    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Hi Jason

    I used adsiedit.msc to check the SPN.SQL service runs under a domain account.

    Thanks

    Chris


    ChrisFairley

    • Proposed as answer by Nedronav Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:29 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Nedronav Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:29 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Also check to make sure that Dynamic ports is off, and that 1433 has been inserted as the ports for ALL the IP's for that instance.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:31 PM
  • Also make sure that the user running setup is a member of the sysadmin role on the SQL instance.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:45 PM
  • Dynamic ports are off, 1433 and 4022 (I think that's the port - on the train - its the one they ask for anyway) are in ALL the entries. The account being used has sysadmin permissions, and local admin permissions on both servers, as well as being a domain admin account. I've been through so many forums now and can't find anything different than what everyone has confirmed need to be set on the SQL server. Are there any other logs I can trawl tht may help? SQL server isn't reporting anything. Cheers Chris

    ChrisFairley

    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:05 PM
  • Chris,

    I had a similiar issue that ended up being caused by the fact that though i thought i had Dynamic ports off, the last one called "IPALL" had a high port number set, which i had figured was OK since it was not "0". Once i removed that, and put in 1433, in the TCP port section, it worked. Since i was 5 minutes away from a support call to MS, and after 3 days checking forums, blogs and everything else, double check that "IPALL".

    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:23 PM
  • The ports on the SQL server are set as:

    Does these servers being VMs affect anything?

    Cheers

    Chris


    ChrisFairley


    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:30 PM
  • take out the 4022 just leave 1433, and see what happens.

    • Marked as answer by ChrisFairley Wednesday, May 30, 2012 11:23 PM
    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:36 PM
  • Nice one Nedronav! That fixed it!!!

    Thanks for all your help everyone.

    Chris


    ChrisFairley

    Wednesday, May 30, 2012 11:24 PM
  • Great info!

    I had the exact same problem, Only I figured setting the port at IP1 and IPALL would be enough. With that in mind, I also did not remove the 0 at dynamic port everywere, only on these two records.

    Now, I have removed the dynamic port setting 0 everywere. Also I set the TCP/IP port 1433 everywere and it runs :)

    Thanks alot!

    Wednesday, June 6, 2012 2:35 PM