Problem installing ATI Catalyst Series 8.2 driver for ATI Radeon 4670 card RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am having difficulty installing the ATI Catalyst Series 8.2 driver for the ATI Radeon 4670 video card.

I have been corresponding with AMD's technical support staff for almost a month, and they have now told me that I should contact Microsoft as the issue may be with the permissions and resources of the OS.

THE PROBLEM IN DETAIL:
    * I have recently purchased a new computer which runs Windows Vista Ultimate Vers 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1 Build 6001.
    * Installed on this computer is an ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics card.
    * I am trying to revert to the series 8.2 driver for the ATI Raedon card.  This is a legacy driver, not the current version (reason why I am doing this is explained below).
    * I have downloaded the file 8-2_vista32_dd_58133.exe from AMD's website.
    * AMD says this is the file that should install the series 8.2 drivers.
    * Following AMD's instructions I have successfully uninstalled the existing AMD drivers, a number of times.
    * Even when following AMD's instructions and removing all AMD drivers and software from my system, the Catalyst Install Manager provided in the file 8-2_vista32_dd_58133.exe will not install the series 8.2 driver on my computer.
    * Using the most recent version driver file provided by AMD, I am able to successfully install driver version 8.591.0.0 on my computer.  This would appear to indicate that I am not making any mistakes with the installation process.
    * AMD concurs with me that "clearly something is preventing the series 8.2 driver from being installed".
    * In particular, it appears that when I run the installation file for the series 8.2 driver, the install manager does not seem to recognise the fact that I have the ATI Video Card installed on my computer.

----------
    AMD's POSITION:

After four weeks of correspondence back and forth with AMD Tech Support trying to resolve why this is occurring, this is AMD's latest response:

"You may install any version of drivers; however if you are having issues with installation of these older versions of drivers, you should contact Microsoft as drivers are installed with permissions and resources for the operating system. Any limitations or there-part-of would be controlled exclusively by windows, and should be taken accordingly."

-----------------
    WHY AM I TRYING TO INSTALL A LEGACY DRIVER?

I am trying to install this older driver in order to run properly a video editing program, Pinnacle Studio 11 Plus.  I have successfully run this program on my old computer but when installed on my new computer some features do not work properly.  Pinnacle Tech Support has advised that this problem occurs with ATI series 8.3 and above drivers, and have advised that I should revert to the series 8.2 drivers.
    See this page:
    https://pinnacle.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pinnacle.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=17149&p_created=1205440370
    Saturday, April 25, 2009 7:32 AM

All replies

• Hi,

have you tried manually removing ALL remaining ATI folders and registry entries after deinsallting the drivers?
    In most cases, doing this solves many problems.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 11:03 AM
  • Yes I have, and it doesn't help.

AMD provided me with detailed instructions on how to remove every trace of the previous installation - folders, registry entries, system files etc.  The result was the same - the series 8.2 driver would not install, the newer driver would.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 12:30 PM
  • Ok, but nevertheless I would try another driver instead of the 8.2. If all other driver doesn´t work at all, than it is a "serious" problem.
    9.4 is the latest.

You can also try removing the 4670 from the device manager and reboot. Windows detects all hardware again and you can install the drivers.

Hope this helps.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Thanks, but none of that assists me.

"I would try another driver instead of the 8.2.  If all other driver doesn't work at all, than it is a "serious" problem.  9.4 is the latest."

I don't know what you mean by "If all other driver doesn't work at all" - do you mean doesn't install, or doesn't work with my Pinnacle software?

The reason I am trying to install driver 8.2 rather than any other driver is because this is the last known driver that works with my video editing program.

The more recent drivers do install correctly on my computer, but the problem with my video editing software persists.

So - the more recent drivers do "work" in that they install on my computer and operate satisfactorily with most programs, but they have a known issue with my Pinnacle software.

I have installed the 9.4 series Catalyst Install Manager which installs driver version 8.591.0.0.  The problem with the Pinnacle software persists.

Therefore - trying another driver instead of the 8.2 doesn't help me.

"You can also try removing the 4670 from the device manager and reboot. Windows detects all hardware again and you can install the drivers."

No, this doesn't assist because Windows automatically installs a more recent driver, not the series 8.2 driver.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 10:46 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for the posts.

After researching, I found that the ATI Catalyst™ Software Suite Version 8.2 might not support ATI Catalyst™ Software Suite Version 8.2. For more information, please refer to the following document:

ATI Catalyst™ Software Suite Version 8.2 Release Notes (Please note the section “AMD Product Support”.)

http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/catalyst_82_release_notes.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Meanwhile, I noticed that the Catalyst™ Software Suite Version 8.10 might support ATI Radeon™ HD4670 series Graphics Card. You can see the following:

Catalyst™ Software Suite Version 8.10 Release Notes (Please note the section “AMD Product Support”.)

http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/catalyst_810_release_notes.html

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Therefore, please try to install the Version 8.10 to see if it works.

If your video editing software still cannot work properly with this version, it is recommended that you contact Pinnacle support for help.

Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope the issue can be resolved soon. Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:03 AM
  • I would also recommend installing more Catalyst versions to see if it works.
    Maybe some driver no one expects works well.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:40 AM
  • "ATI Catalyst™ Software Suite Version 8.2 might not support ATI Catalyst™ Software Suite Version 8.2."

I assume that the second reference should be to the Radeon 4670 card.  Interesting - one month of correspondence with AMD and no-one there pointed that out.

When I get the chance, I will try installing other Catalyst drivers to see if that works.  Unfortunately Pinnacle tell me the 8.2 series driver is the last known one to support the program.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:04 AM
  • Well that´s rudiclous. The 8.2 came out in February 2008. What a support from Pinnacle.
    Maybe you should search for another program or try other drivers as you already said.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 10:29 AM
  • Currently in a vortex with video display errors/drivers/cards, etc, so I know where you're coming from.

One thing I learned is that Vista stores all its drivers in a "driver store".
    So, even though you think you have "uninstalled" a particular version (say, the OEM or legacy version), it turns out that, when you reboot the system, Vista will "automatically" and it seems preferentially go out to its store and attempt to reinstall whatever version it finds.
    This is what happened to me: we "uninstalled" the old driver, but apparently Vista moved it or kept a copy of it in its driver store.
    So even though we had downloaded the newer version and clicked it to run and install, Vista did its own thing and reinstalled the "old" one.

The way we solved it was to reboot in **safe mode**, go into device manager, and delete it from there.
    When we rebooted after this, Vista loaded the default, low-end VGA driver (you'll notice that the resolution will change), confirming that the "old" driver was really gone.
    But, then when we ran the installation of the new driver, it worked fine.

The other thing you can try is to download/install the legacy version of the CCC suite you want directly from the AMD site, in which case it takes care of removing the "old" version itself. This works at least for the current version of the entire CCC suite; I don't know if it's the same process for legacy versions.
    And like the others suggested, I'm told you sometimes have to go in and manually remove everything, and even run a registry cleaning utility, such as CCleaner.

Hope this helps!

NOT a computer geek at all, but learning as I go, thanks for Vista (boo hoo).
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 4:28 PM
  • Thanks Daledoc,

Yes, the automatic reinstallation was initially an issue but we managed to switch that off.  Uninstallation was attempted several times, including a very laborious manual removal of every single scerrick of AMD software/drivers/entries, but the 8.2 series driver still doesn't install.

The version I am trying to install is the "Legacy" version of the CCC suite; that's the one that doesn't work.

Still need to find the time to do a systematic test of all subsequent drivers as suggested, which will be a very time-consuming process due to need to do clean uninstalls of each driver that doesn't work.

I did raise with AMD the issue that Nicholas Li pointed out regarding the Radeon 4670 not being listed as a supported card for the 8.2 drivers; they gave an equivocal reply along the lines that the Radeon 4670 was not produced until after the 8.2 driver was issued, but didn't say whether they conisidered it should be supported or not by the 8.2 driver.
    Sunday, May 3, 2009 11:05 PM
  • Well, I've just spent the best part of 3 hours installing, or trying to install, every available ATI driver from Catalyst series 8.2 onwards.

Catalyst suites 8.2-8.9 would not install as they did not detect my Radeon 4670 card, probably because they pre-date it and so don't support it.

Suites 8.10-8.12 and 9.1-9.4 each installed properly, installing drivers 8.541 through 8.600.  The Pinnacle Studio 11 program didn't work properly with any of them.

I will now get back to Pinnacle and raise with them the issue that whilst my computer appears to conform to all the minimum specifications for running their software, it doesn't run properly, and perhaps they need to deal with this.
    Saturday, May 9, 2009 5:47 AM