Screen won't wake up from sleep - os windows vista 64 bit on HP pavilion dv7 laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop with Windows Vista 64 bit operating system.  If I close the lid or leave the unplugged laptop idle for any period of time, the screen goes to sleep.  However, nothing I do will wake it back up again.  All of the lights are lit at the top of the keyboard and even the HP light on the outside of the laptop.  I have tried changing the settings for sleep and hibernate and have tried several other suggestions for similar problems.  My only option after this happens is to do a hard shut down.  This can't be good for my laptop (much less my patience!). The only thing that has changed that coincides with this happening is that I had to replace my battery.  I got an after market battery that was much cheaper than what I could order from HP.  Could this have anything to do with it?  I would appreciate any advice anyone may have.  I would update to Windows 7 if I was sure this would cure the problem.
    Monday, March 29, 2010 9:44 PM

All replies

• hi lam
    pls dont bother trying to solve this problem. its a MS related issue which occurs in some laptop brands like the lenovo I'm using with a Win7 installed. I blamed it on the lenovo software developer engineers for modifying and releasing a defect driver that causes this but it looks like they're not the only ones to blame. I also use an acer 5739G but that one is a master piece that has nothing to talk about. I'm not sure why this happens but MS engineers and laptop manufacturers' development team should work harder to earn and deserve their salaries and bonuses. try to live with it and wait for an official solution anouncement - though a while ago the lenovo support team has released a BIOS upgrade/patch that made the laptops completely inoperable after that patch has been installed on some laptops that had the issue. those laptops had to wait spare parts for weeks in services. when they found out this, they withdrawed it from their support sites and since then, months have passed but none of them were actually capable or potent to find a solution and they keep selling brand new bugged and faulty shiny models :))) shame on all of them who has finger prints on this nightmare.
    Monday, May 3, 2010 7:54 PM
  • I recently started having the same problem with my Windows 7 64-bit HP m9100z Media PC.  It used to go to sleep and wake up with no issues, then within the past two or three weeks, it no longer wakes up the HDMI monitor/tv.  The computer light looks as if it is fully ON, but there is not display output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:54 AM
  • hi jsealy,
    as of date, no official solution has been received from the laptop manufacturer. they came up with a "part change" proposal that would "enivetable" take a few weeks of service. they did not specify what part is going to be changed and I don't have those "few weeks" they're asking me to live without my laptop. anyway, call HP and ask them if they have something for you to solve it out and pls let us know what they said about it. good luck.
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 3:27 PM