Assistance in connecting a SQL Server Client to SQL Server sitting in a shared environment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to connect to a SQL server thats running in say abc.trident.com and also sits in a shared environment..

I have couple of questions

1) That SQL server is accessible from my network, yet when I swtich on my enterprise manager I am unable to view that in the list of running SQL servers in the populated list.

Is it because its sitting in a shared environment I am unable to view that?

2) What is the connection striing I should use to connect to the server..When I try to configure a SQL server registrations it normally asks for SQL Server name along with the user authentication

Should I mention fill the Server: field as 

abc.trident.com

or

// abc.trident.com/abc.trident.com

to connect to the clustered server.

Can some one tell me the proper connection string if both aforementioned ones are incorrect?

Thanks in Advance

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 7:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• What error it throws !?

1) That SQL server is accessible from my network, yet when I swtich on my enterprise manager I am unable to view that in the list of running SQL servers in the populated list.

Is it because its sitting in a shared environment I am unable to view that?

>> Is this server is out side your network!!!? have you tried connecting using QA? is NET DDE and NET DDE DDSM service are running ? Is NETBIOS enabled?

2) What is the connection striing I should use to connect to the server..When I try to configure a SQL server registrations it normally asks for SQL Server name along with the user authentication

Should I mention fill the Server: field as 

abc.trident.com

or

// abc.trident.com/abc.trident.com

to connect to the clustered server.

Refer connectionstring.com for different connection strings.

Regards

Hemantgiri S. Goswami

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 7:45 AM
  • 1) is NET DDE and NET DDE DDSM service are running ? Is NETBIOS enabled?

Yes

2) The connectionstring.com site appears to be dead and has some irrevlant ads. can you tell me if my connection string format to represent a Clustered SQL server is correct or any other site from which I can get the accurate info

Efforts in googling ended in vain.

3) The error

<SQLServer does not exist or access denied ConnectionOpen.connect())>

Here the SQL server lies out side my network and the network is even accessible from a Tracert.

but the SQL server is up and running according to the Admin.

Tuesday, December 5, 2006 4:26 PM
  • No takers!
    Thursday, December 7, 2006 3:35 AM
  • Hi,

You have said that the server is outside network.... If it is behind firewall have you check the proper firewall rule is placed in order to get you access !? and Port too...

Refer this KB for the workaround http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328306/en-us 

Hemantgiri S. Goswami

Friday, December 8, 2006 8:42 AM