none
Sequencing Chrome with 4.6 SP1 on Windows 7 x64 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have absolutely no luck seguencing Chrome with the Microsoft Application Sequencer 4.6 SP1 (or the AdminStuid suite for that matter). I have tried every recipe as well as repackaging etc to get this to go but I get the same result regardless of the steps.

Attempt 1 - Install using Chrome Current User installer, remove %APPDATA% exclusions, copy Chrome components to Q:\ drive and re-create the shortcuts.

This yeilds a more complete package but Chrome will not start. This does not change regardless of what command parameters I use (i.e. --no-sandbox and or --in-process-plugins). Chrome just fills its debug log with a reason for the failure. All of these reasons lead you in circles as to the root cause.

Attempt 2 - Install using Chrome All User installer, the Enterprise Installer (MSI) or a repackaged Chrome MSI (from AdminStudio)

This yields an installed Chrome package with C:\Program Files (x86) ... but, as soon as monitoring is stopped, the whole Google Chrome application folder structure is removed and therefore not capture by the sequencer, i.e. when you click "I am finished" and the monitor process begins to capture the changes the folder structure "C:\Program Files (x86)\google\Chrome\Application" is removed and is no where to be found. The resulting SFT file has no trace that the folder ever existed. There is no tract with the excluded Files/Folders section within the report. This has left me scratching my head.

Does anyone have any guidance on Chrome/W7 (x64)/Sequencer 4.6 SP1?

Any help would be great!

Cheers,

Nathan

NSutton
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 3:51 AM

Answers

• For option 2, at the end of installing and configuring Chrome and before stopping monitoring, run the following command:

REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v PendingFileRenameOperations /d "" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /f

I'm doing up a blog post with more details, but for what ever reason, a pending reboot action is being created that deletes the folder. The Sequencer processes this reboot action and of course, deletes the folder.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

During the configuration-phase, can you start Chrome?
    When deploying - what happens when double-clicking the shortcut?
    /Znack
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Hi Znack,

During the configuration phase (which is after monitoring? correct? - sorry I am new to sequencing) the Chrome shortcut is already broken. That is, the Chrome application folder and sub files are gone. They dissapear during the end of the monitoriung phas after checking the "I am finished installed" checkbox but before the First Run routine.

Since I have never been able to get past this I have not tried putting the final application into SCCM for testing. I can certainly try this to see what I get.

Thanks,

NSutton
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:04 AM
  • Hello,

During the configuration phase you should get a list of identified shortcuts, yes, after monitoring and you check the I am finished installing....

Did you get such a list?

/Znack
    Thursday, November 3, 2011 12:21 PM
  • For option 2, at the end of installing and configuring Chrome and before stopping monitoring, run the following command:

REG ADD "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" /v PendingFileRenameOperations /d "" /t REG_MULTI_SZ /f

I'm doing up a blog post with more details, but for what ever reason, a pending reboot action is being created that deletes the folder. The Sequencer processes this reboot action and of course, deletes the folder.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 10:09 PM
  • Hi Znack,

Yes, I do get the shortcut for Chrome but it is broken since, by that stage the executable has been deleted.

Cheers,

NSutton
    Friday, November 4, 2011 11:17 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

Thanks for this. I will have a look and retry the sequence. Did you use PROCMON to catch this or did you happen to check that registry hive?

Thanks again,

Nathan

NSutton
    Friday, November 4, 2011 11:19 PM
  • I've posted an article on the troubleshooting here: http://blog.stealthpuppy.com/virtualisation/the-case-of-the-disappearing-application-during-sequencing/

Friday, November 4, 2011 11:58 PM
  • In addition to Aaron's fix I also had to delete and re-create the Chrome shortcut during the sequencing phase.

The reason for this is that Chrome.exe does not start after installation. Chrome.exe createsa debug.log within the same folder as the executable named debug.log. The error relates to the fact Chrome.exe cannot determine the version of it's associated DLLs. By copying chrome.exe from C:\Program Files (x86\Google\Chrome\Application to C:\Program Files (x86\Google\Chrome\Application\[VERSION] where [VERSION] is a folder with the Chrome build version has the name.

Create new shortcuts linking to this location and Chrome will start as expected.

Also, during the First Run phase, I started Chrome.exe several times. During sequencing Chrome.exe creates a file named "First Run" (no extension) in the same folder as Chrome.exe within the VFS. Event thpough this file was captured and put in the VFS I had to put a copy of this file to next to the original chrome.exe (which is in C:\Program Files (x86\Google\Chrome\Application).

Hope this helps.

Nathan.

NSutton
    Monday, November 7, 2011 7:23 AM
  • I've been writting an article (in french) on my website concerning Chrome Sequencing,
    I answered this to another thread also : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvgeneralsequencing/thread/6761e23a-0fdd-4200-b25e-53532e71dc17

There is an easy way to sequence Chrome no exclusion or tweaking involved,
    I explain it all on my personnal blog (http://www.adnc.fr/virtualisation/246-virtualiser-google-chrome-avec-app-v-46-sp1)
    but as it is in french I'll give the basic idea here, you should not try to Sequence
    it with the original installer, what I did is install it then copy chrome.exe with it's other binaries:
     (everything in same folder)

Then I made a self extracting file using 7-Zip any other or a simple copy / paste will do,
    then I ran Sequencer as I usually do for others Software and use my self extracting file as main installer.

As said before you can also simply copy and paste the folder itself in your Q: drive.

Didn't try on a x64 System so please let us know if this could help.

Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:09 AM