none
FAST Results Page Missing Preview, View in Browser & Thumbnail RRS feed

• Question

• Morning,

I've spent about a day looking through the TechNet forums and WWW and have done everything that I've seen suggested in relation to my problem all to no avail. To give you an overview I have:

SharePoint 2010 Server with SP1 and June CU. Has Office Web Apps installed and working fine. Enterprise license.
    FAST Search Server 2010 with SP1.

I've setup FAST search and all is working fine except the results page for FAST Search does not have any of features likes preview, view in Browser or thumbnails. I created a new site using the FAST Search template especially for these features. My FAST search centre appears pretty much the same as the standard SharePoint 2010 search centre. The features are turned on in the core web part.

I'm sure this could be any number of things so understand it could require a bit more investigation so any help greatly appreciated.

Pete

Friday, August 5, 2011 9:04 AM

Answers

• Morning,

I've spent about a day looking through the TechNet forums and WWW and have done everything that I've seen suggested in relation to my problem all to no avail. To give you an overview I have:

SharePoint 2010 Server with SP1 and June CU. Has Office Web Apps installed and working fine. Enterprise license.

I've setup FAST search and all is working fine except the results page for FAST Search does not have any of features likes preview, view in Browser or thumbnails. I created a new site using the FAST Search template especially for these features. My FAST search centre appears pretty much the same as the standard SharePoint 2010 search centre. The features are turned on in the core web part.

I'm sure this could be any number of things so understand it could require a bit more investigation so any help greatly appreciated.

Pete

Just a quick check - Is your content stored in SharePoint?
    Monday, August 8, 2011 9:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Pete

This thread has a lot of suggestions that you can try out:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fastsharepoint/thread/2d032e96-7f12-4bf3-9e73-dbe10f631036

Hope that helps!

Thomas Svensen | Microsoft Enterprise Search Practice
    Friday, August 5, 2011 2:08 PM
  • I've already looked through that forum posting and all appears fine on my deployment. I've just installed SP1 for Office Web Apps and still have the same issue as before. My problem is that I don't get any of the features, not just the missing previews.

Any further ideas?

Monday, August 8, 2011 9:28 AM
  • Hello Peter,

Did you install OWA before or after the content it fails for? Could you try to create a new site with a document library and put a powerpoint file in it, and see if it will fail for this new site/library as well. I have experienced it only working on new sites.

Are you running FAST on the same machine as SharePoint, or any other roles on the SharePoint server besides SharePoint?

Also, what kind of authentication are you using for your site? And to debug this further you can install a program called Fiddler on your client machine (the same as which hosts your browser), and monitor your web traffic. Pay attention to any 401 or 404 errors when you execute a search.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    http://techmikael.blogspot.com/
    Monday, August 8, 2011 5:28 PM
  • Morning,

Pete

Just a quick check - Is your content stored in SharePoint?
    Monday, August 8, 2011 9:34 PM
  • Yes, and to add to the last comment, can you verify that "Edit in Browser" works on these documents?

Regards

Thomas Svensen | Microsoft Enterprise Search Practice
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:54 AM
  • Gents, thanks for all your help. It turns out that it was working but I hadn't realised this would only be for documents hosted on SharePoint, not file shares. A bit of a disappointment but still. Assume this is a limitation that can't be worked around?
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 10:23 AM
  • Correct, you would have to go for a third party product if you want thumbs/previews for content outside of SharePoint.

Also, if you decide to uninstall OWA, there is a bug (which might be fixed in later CU's) which removed the server from the farm when uninstalling it. Just something to look out for.

Regards,
    Mikael Svenson 

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/WCF4/ASP.Net4
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 11:16 AM
  • Hi Mikael,

The Fast Search was working and didn't see the features(thumbnail,view in browser etc). Then i installed the OWA and still am not getting the features. IE9 is the browser.

Regards,

Ananth.R.

Ananth

Friday, December 28, 2012 10:18 AM
  • Hi,

You will have to re-index all the content (full-crawl) after OWA is installed in order to get thumbs working.

If you have done this, there are numerous other hurdles you can encounter. The latest I solved was getting it to work with claims + Kerberos which is unsupported, but that's a future post :)

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/MCT/MCPD - If you find an answer useful, please up-vote it.
    Author of Working with FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint

Friday, December 28, 2012 12:04 PM
  • Hi,

Am using claims based authentication and will wait for your post. Like to know whether claims based authentication doesn't allow few features like View in Browser, Thumbnail, Document preview,metadata tags to display in refinement panel etc.

Regards,

Ananth.R.

Ananth

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 6:43 AM
  • Hi,

Finally managed to write up the post and commit the code.

http://techmikael.blogspot.com/2013/01/how-to-get-thumbs-to-work-with-fs4sp.html

Let me know if it works for you.

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Search Enthusiast - SharePoint MVP/MCT/MCPD - If you find an answer useful, please up-vote it.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:56 AM
  • Hi Mikael,

I have created few Fast Search keywords and is it possible to map those keywords to crawled properties?

Regards,

Ananth.R.

Ananth

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:52 AM
  • Hi,

Not sure what you mean. Keywords match the query coming in, and has nothing to do with the content being indexed. I assume you talk about the keywords for adding synonyms etc.

Thanks,
    Mikael Svenson

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:27 PM