none
Outlook 2016 emails display in a narrow panel or column RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, When I open emails from businesses (usually HTML email, not text emails) in Outlook 2016 they are displayed in a narrow center column.  I'm using Professional Plus.  I saw Danny Ray had a similar problem, but no solution was shown on the forum.  Does anyone have a solution?  Thanks, Torrey
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 4:21 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Does the email display correctly if we open it in browser? Under Message tab > Move Group > Actions > View in Browser.

Some community members who have the same issue were able to fix it using the following methods. You may also have a try:

1. In Outlook, go to File > Options > Mail, scroll down to the Message format section, uncheck the option labelled "Use Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) for appearance of message".

2. Uncheck the option labelled "Reduce message size by removing format information not necessary to display the message" under File > Options > Mail > Message format section.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Friday, January 1, 2016 2:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does the email display correctly if we open it in browser? Under Message tab > Move Group > Actions > View in Browser.

Some community members who have the same issue were able to fix it using the following methods. You may also have a try:

1. In Outlook, go to File > Options > Mail, scroll down to the Message format section, uncheck the option labelled "Use Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) for appearance of message".

2. Uncheck the option labelled "Reduce message size by removing format information not necessary to display the message" under File > Options > Mail > Message format section.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Friday, January 1, 2016 2:05 AM
  • I am experiencing what looks to be the same problem on Office 365 Windows 10. I just tried your suggestions and they had no effect. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

• Proposed as answer by Shelties Rule Saturday, February 6, 2016 4:23 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Shelties Rule Saturday, February 6, 2016 4:23 AM
    Friday, February 5, 2016 11:10 AM
  • I have the same problem also. I have a brand new computer with a touch screen. I have 3 other computers running Outlook 2016 and they do not have this problem. My new computer is not in tablet mode. I hope someone has a fix because I cannot find one by searching the internet.

Thanks.

Friday, February 5, 2016 1:26 PM
  • I have looked into this more broadly and found a very interesting blog at https://blog.jmwhite.co.uk/2015/12/11/html-email-in-outlook-mail-on-windows-10/. If I have understood correctly, Outlook is not supporting anywhere near the latest HTML standards and so when email developers use the latest features of (say) HTML 5, then the rendering in Outlook may not be anything like they intended.

So there are two ways in which this can be resolved: email developers can self-limit to the features of HTML that are supported by Outlook; or Outlook can get its act together and try to keep up with the rest of the world.

I don't support the first option, as this is basically denying progress. Implementation of the second option may very well be underway, but there is little indication that it is, and we are completely dependent on Microsoft for it anyway.

So as a simple user, there appears little that we can do to alleviate the problem - except for moving to an alternative to Outlook.

I am open to any cogent argument that I have got this wrong.

Saturday, February 6, 2016 4:51 AM
  • This has been a known problems for years with other versions of Outlook.  I thought for sure they'd have it fixed in the new Office 2016. :(

Tuesday, March 1, 2016 7:04 PM
  • same
    Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:44 AM
  • Same problem a year later - but no solution yet???

Thursday, February 2, 2017 1:53 AM
  • C:\Users\TFord\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates - Delete Normal.dotm and NormalEmail.dotm  Outlook will rebuild these and all will be well.<o:p></o:p>

• Proposed as answer by gippt Wednesday, May 17, 2017 12:16 AM
    Friday, May 5, 2017 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

This did not work for me, adding the correct DocType (transitional html) to the html-mail solved the problem...

Best regards,

Yuri

• Proposed as answer by yuricts Friday, June 9, 2017 8:41 AM
    Friday, June 9, 2017 8:41 AM
  • I was trying to send a marketing email with a large (2200px x 9999px) Jpeg image and, testing it by sending it to myself, encountered the same problem. The image was fine before sending but was resized on arrival. If I tried to reply to the email, the image resized back to the original size, but resized down again on sending. Altering the image in Word, Outlook or Photoshop did nothing.

I tried the method suggested by Steve Fan, didn't work for me.

I eventually found a simple workaround by cropping the image into three smaller images of approx 2200px x 3333px each and stacking them vertically in the email (this particular image had some horizontal lines at which it could be conveniently divided). This worked fine, didn't trigger any resizing.

• Edited by Hormersdorf Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:50 AM
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 12:39 AM
  •  If you are brought to tears by the crazy problems, AND YOU ARE GENUINELY DISABLED, Microsoft has a "Disability answer line." It's free, and the phone number is: 800-936-5900. I am genuinely disabled, 100%, and homebound. I'm 81 years old, dyslexic and have recently had eye surgery. You should see the problems I get with both HP and Microsoft. Argghh! Please don't use the line unless you are disabled. We who really are, need it. 
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 3:27 PM