User Profile Sync Issue on SharePoint 2019 On-Prem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

I am facing issue in UPS on my farm which is on-prem SharePoint 2019. I have applied many solutions but not working. It seems the service is not updating the SQL tables userprofile_full SQL and therefore users profiles are not getting updated. Many users cannot see profile pictures, their updated manager's name etc. 

Please advise how to solve it.

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 3:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Are you using MIM Server for getting the User Profile Pictures ?
    Tuesday, June 9, 2020 4:03 PM
  • No I am using AD and its not just Pictures many other attributes like Manager name, telephone number etc are also not gettng sync in SharePoint.
    Tuesday, June 9, 2020 4:36 PM
  • I don't think profile picture will be synced using AD Import, you have to find some scripting way to do that. As per other two fields they should be synced please make sure you have enough permissions for the account you are using in Active Directory and do a full sync and test it again. still couldn't get the results i would say raise a Microsoft Ticket.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, June 9, 2020 4:43 PM
  • Hi Sharath aluri

The pictures were syncing when we created UPS in our farm. After sometime the passwords were resetted for Service accounts. We have the Sync account with replicating permissions with AD which is created to established the connection. I checked all permissions on SQL, App Pools etc. and all seems to be fine. Timer services are also running daily. But the SQL tables UserProfile_full do not have updated value since Feb 2020 and I am not sure why is this happening. So far, I have analyse the Root cause as SQL tables are NOT getting sync with actual AD values. What I can do to make it Sync with updated values from AD to SQL Tables ? I beleive once SQL tables values gets updated with current values in AD for all users, this might fix the issue. Please advise on the same.  P.S. We cannot open a MS ticket as of now. 

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 8:48 AM
  • Hello,

By default, AD import would not sync profile picture attribute. You need to add the mapping manually. 

Please refer to this article:

https://richardstk.com/2013/04/12/import-user-photos-from-active-directory-into-sharepoint-2013/

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 9:11 AM
  • This is not just about Pictures many more properties are also not in sync with current values in AD. The issue which I have identified is there are different values for users in AD as compared to SharePoint. The SQL tables shows last sync date in Feb 2020 where all the services related to UPS are online and running daily. I have checked permissions on SQL, APP Pools etc. Everything seems to be perfect but current values from AD is not getting populated in SharePoint and SQL tables for UPS still show old values. 

P.S. It not just pictures but many different values. Seems the inceremntal sync is somehow not updating values from AD. I have recreated AD connection in CA. We had some password reset for all SA in past months is thhis because of those? Do you want me to share log file from PROD ? 

Wednesday, June 10, 2020 1:03 PM
  • Hello,

Reconfigure the sync Connection also not work? 

You could try to start a full sync. Check if the user profile would be updated.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Thursday, June 11, 2020 7:59 AM
  • Reconfigure the sync Connection also not work?  - No 

You could try to start a full sync. Check if the user profile would be updated. - No its not helping that way also. 

I analyse my PROD farm and found two possible root cause 

1) SQL Tables are not gettinng sync with new values in Active Directory

2) I have 4 WFE and 4 APP servers (including failover servers as well) , User Profile service is showing as Provisionng on 2 servers and Disabled on 1 server.  (Please see screenshot below)

Are these could be the possible root cause for the service not able to work ? 

Since this is PROD, will recreating User Profile Proxy Application OR Recreating whole User Profile Service will fix the issue ? Please advise as this is SPS 2019 On-Prem server. 

Monday, June 15, 2020 8:49 AM
  • Hello,

I would suggest you create a new user profile service application, check if the profile sync would work in this new UPS. 

If the new UPSA works, you could use the new UPSA in your web application.

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 9:26 AM
  • I am facing issue as some users profile pictures are coming while others are not coming. I have checked in SQL Table the URL is fine. The Pictures comes after we reload the web page severals times but it doesn't comes on first load when someone opens the websites. Also we are seeing this issues in many users mysites. Please suggest what can be done to resolve it ? 

Wednesday, June 24, 2020 6:49 PM
  • Hello,

In the UPS, could you see the profile pictures in the user profile?

Please navigate to the Site Contents of your My Site Host, you will find a library called User Photos  which is each of the profile pictures in sizes Small, Medium and Large.

Try to use Update-SPProfilePhotoStore to import profile picture to user profile.

Update-SPProfilePhotoStore -MySiteHostLocation https://mysites

Best Regards,

Michael Han

Friday, June 26, 2020 9:49 AM
  • Hi Michael, 

I did some fixes in IIS which worked but my User Profile Issue is still NOT solved completely. Someone has intentionally deleted 2 App Pools in my Application Server which is impacting my User Profile Service Application. Whenever I try to update UPS using Central Admin, I get an Error as shown below - 

Central Admin Error

1. SharePoint Web Services Default (Hosting Major SharePoint Services)
    2. SharePoint-Services-AppPools (Hosting User Profile Service)

Above are the missing App Pools in one of my Application Server. 

Please suggget how I can restore the missing app pools to fix my UPS ?

Tuesday, June 30, 2020 10:58 AM
  • Hello,

Since this issue has been answered in the thread :

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/9613a610-4fbb-4ea6-90ec-b87fbce22256/sharepoint-default-web-services-iis-app-pool-is-deleted?forum=SP2019#44e80c7a-8606-4f8a-a326-0b8b14b0f861

Please remember to mark my reply as an answer to close this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Michael Hna

• Edited by Michael Han6 Wednesday, July 8, 2020 9:41 AM
    • Marked as answer by SinghSum_84 Thursday, July 16, 2020 12:09 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 9:41 AM
  • Hello,

Since this issue has been answered in the thread :

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/9613a610-4fbb-4ea6-90ec-b87fbce22256/sharepoint-default-web-services-iis-app-pool-is-deleted?forum=SP2019#44e80c7a-8606-4f8a-a326-0b8b14b0f861

Please remember to mark my reply as an answer to close this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Michael Hna

Hi Michael, The User Profile issue is not completely resolved yet. Some of the users have their profile photos getting sync from Outlook / Active Directory while some users are not having their pictures and a X sign is coming up. Please suggest what needs to be done here ?

I ran Update-SPProfilePhotoStore many times

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 1:23 PM