none
Move DPM 2012 R2 Protected Servers to new Primary server RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have one DPM 2012 R2 server (DPM1) and the LDM is at 90% so I need to move some protected data sources to a new DPM 2012 R2 server (DPM2).  I have sufficient storage on our SAN to leave the existing backup data there and create new replicas and everything when moving the data sources to DPM2 if needed.  If there is a way to move protection from DPM1 to DPM2 without creating new replicas that would be good provided it doesn't make my environment more complicated than needed.  I have a third DPM server (DPM0) that I have available to use to back up the DPM DBs from DPM1 and DPM2 also. 

What is the best and most simple way to move some of the data sources to DPM2?

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:02 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the information.  I have decided to stop protection on the protected servers that I want to move off of DPM1 and start protecting them on DPM2.  DPM3 will only be protecting the DPM DB from DPM1 and DPM2.  Here are the steps I used to stop protection on DPM1 and set it up on DPM2.

Stop protection of PS and retain data
    Disable Protection of PS

Protected Server
    cd\
    cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin"
    SetDpmServer.exe -dpmservername "servername"

New DPM Server (DPM2)
    Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 -DPMServer dpmservername. -PSName "servername"

Old DPM Server (DPM1)
    Remove-ProductionServer.ps1

• Marked as answer by WSUAL2 Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:24 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If I understand you correctly; You do not want to have any sort of performance impact on your production servers by connecting them to a new DPM-server and start protecting them.

What you could to do in this case is to set up DPM2 as a secondary DPM-server for DPM1.
    When DPM2 has created recovery points for all the data sources you want to move, you can switch-protection to make DPM2 the primary DPM-server for the datasources.

Set up secondary servers

Kind Regards
    Markus

Thursday, May 7, 2015 7:29 AM
  • Thanks for the information.  I have decided to stop protection on the protected servers that I want to move off of DPM1 and start protecting them on DPM2.  DPM3 will only be protecting the DPM DB from DPM1 and DPM2.  Here are the steps I used to stop protection on DPM1 and set it up on DPM2.

Stop protection of PS and retain data
    Disable Protection of PS

Protected Server
    cd\
    cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin"
    SetDpmServer.exe -dpmservername "servername"

New DPM Server (DPM2)
    Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 -DPMServer dpmservername. -PSName "servername"

Old DPM Server (DPM1)
    Remove-ProductionServer.ps1

• Marked as answer by WSUAL2 Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:24 PM
    Tuesday, May 12, 2015 2:24 PM