none
Recommended Cluster configuration for 3 nodes

Question

• Hi,

We are planning to implement Failover Cluster 2016. We have 3 nodes and I would like to ask what is the recommended scenario for that. I know that sometimes we need to have quorum disk and witness disks and will that be the case in 3-nodes cluster.

I hope that someone can explain it to me and help us.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

as Tim has suggested, i prefer also a Disk Witness at a 1 GB LUN. On the disk Witness the Cluster stores as well the Cluster database. With this configuration, the 3 Nodes, it´s uneven and so without the additional Witness you can lose 1 node (in case of node majority). But i propose to use everytime a Witness and let the Cluster dynamically decide.

Regards,
    Marcel

https://www.windowspro.de/marcel-kueppers

I write here only in private interest

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by medy5 Monday, March 6, 2017 11:36 AM
    Friday, March 3, 2017 7:39 AM

All replies

• Hi,

best practices is to configure in every configuration a Witness. Windows Server since 2012R2 decide dynamically if it´s getting a vote. Since 2016 you could also use an Azure Cloud Witness with a storage account.

Regards,
    Marcel

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:28 PM
  • You have asked a pretty broad question.  Yes, a witness of some form is recommended.  Personally I prefer to use a disk witness whenever possible as it provides a little more robustness than a file share witness in some situations.  But beyond that, there are a lot of other things to consider when building a three-node cluster - storage, networking, host placement, etc. and your business requirements and desires.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:23 PM
  • Hi Marcel and Tim,

Thank you. We will configure 3 node cluster with SAN. Everything will be placed in our server room so equipment will be at the same place. We will have network redundancy as well so if network card fails we will not lose connection to the SAN. So we need to use witness no matter what which means if 1 node fails we will not lose quorum and cluster will still be working.

Friday, March 3, 2017 6:47 AM
  • Hi,

as Tim has suggested, i prefer also a Disk Witness at a 1 GB LUN. On the disk Witness the Cluster stores as well the Cluster database. With this configuration, the 3 Nodes, it´s uneven and so without the additional Witness you can lose 1 node (in case of node majority). But i propose to use everytime a Witness and let the Cluster dynamically decide.

Regards,
    Marcel

• Marked as answer by medy5 Monday, March 6, 2017 11:36 AM
    Friday, March 3, 2017 7:39 AM