Remove quorum disk - after adding the 3rd HyperV node RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys
    I have added a 3rd hyper v node to my existing cluster. And i have changed the quorum disk model to the reccomened one. But i have been told that qurom disk is not needed for the 3 node cluster. How can i remove this, or shoull i have done this before i added the 3rd node? there is no VM's on the 3rd node yet, so can i evict it----------> remove Q disk and then add the 3rd node again?
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 4:31 PM

Answers

• If you changed the quorum model to the recommended one...why do you still have a witness disk? The recommended quorum model for a 3-node cluster is Node Majority, which doesn't use a witness disk.

When you change the quorum model from Node+Disk Majority to Node Majority, it would move the now unused witness disk to the "Available Storage" group.

To change the quorum model, you would right-click on the Name of the cluster and choose More Actions > Configure Cluster Quorum Settings. You should make this change after adding the 3rd node.

Hope this helps
    Visit my blog about multi-site clustering - http://msmvps.com/blogs/jtoner
    • Proposed as answer by Edwin vMierlo Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tim Quan Thursday, January 7, 2010 2:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 9:00 PM

All replies

• If you changed the quorum model to the recommended one...why do you still have a witness disk? The recommended quorum model for a 3-node cluster is Node Majority, which doesn't use a witness disk.

When you change the quorum model from Node+Disk Majority to Node Majority, it would move the now unused witness disk to the "Available Storage" group.

To change the quorum model, you would right-click on the Name of the cluster and choose More Actions > Configure Cluster Quorum Settings. You should make this change after adding the 3rd node.

Hope this helps
    Visit my blog about multi-site clustering - http://msmvps.com/blogs/jtoner
    • Proposed as answer by Edwin vMierlo Wednesday, January 6, 2010 9:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Tim Quan Thursday, January 7, 2010 2:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Hi Thanks for the quick answer, yes i have looked in the cluster and this quorom disk is showing as 'available storage' so does that mean that i dont have to remove the Quorom disk manually. And the reccomended model which i selected in the wizard after adding the third node has done this for me?

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:02 AM
  • Hiya,

Yup :)
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 1:19 PM