Export-Mailbox for legal discovery remove empty folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I'm having a bit of an issue with running an export mailbox search for a legal discovery that we need to perform. Basically we need to find any messages sent from two specific addresses to anyone within our company and export them to a mailbox for our legal team to review. The problem that i'm running into is that the export-mailbox command copies the folder structure for each mailbox that it searches to the target mailbox. When the legal team attempts to open the mailbox its taking an extremely long time for the target mailbox to open. 

Is there any way to run the export-mailbox command and have it not copy the folder structure for users that have no messages related to the search ? I haven't been able to find anything about a command line option to not create empty folders so i'm assuming this isn't a built in feature. If not has anyone had to deal with this issue before, if so what solution did you use to delete the empty folders folders in the target mailbox ? 

We are running Exchange 2007 SP1

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 9:20 PM

Answers

• Hi

That cound not be archive with one command, and I think it is hard to do so.

I got an idea perhaps you can have a try, make two Target Mailbox, First export the data into Target Mailbox1,and from Target Mailbox1, do a second export to export to Target Mailbox2

Then you can open Target Mailbox2 to view the result

Hope it helps

Cheers

Zi Feng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Zi Feng Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:51 AM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 6:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I am sharing the cmdlet assuming that the mails sent by 2 users are present in the INBOX of the recipeints

Get-Mailbox -Database DB1 | Export-Mailbox -TargetMailbox ExportMailbox -TargetFolder ExportData -SenderKeywords "The SenderKeywords parameter specifies sender e-mail addresses or display names" -IncludeFolders "\inbox"

Reference

======

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998579(EXCHG.80).aspx

Regards,

Ragharam

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 10:11 PM
  • Hi Ragharam,

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately the command cannot be limited to just the inbox as i must search deleted items and any folders that the users created as well as the inbox. Pretty much i have to search every where for any existence of these messages.  I'm running a command that is similar to what you listed above and the export is working the problem is that we have roughly 5000 user mailboxes that we need to search. Since the export-mailbox command creates a folder for each user that has been searched in the target mailbox and that folder contains each users folder structures the resulting mailbox or PST file pretty much just hangs the Outlook client as soon as its opened. 

My hope is that there would be some way to only create folders for users that have matches to the search filter and not for the users that do not match or some way to delete the empty folders within the mailbox without having to open it. 

Saturday, December 1, 2012 7:40 AM
  • Hi

That cound not be archive with one command, and I think it is hard to do so.

I got an idea perhaps you can have a try, make two Target Mailbox, First export the data into Target Mailbox1,and from Target Mailbox1, do a second export to export to Target Mailbox2

Then you can open Target Mailbox2 to view the result

Hope it helps

Cheers

Zi Feng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Zi Feng Wednesday, December 5, 2012 1:51 AM
    Monday, December 3, 2012 6:01 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry to bring this old topic back to life, but it helped me with the similiar problem and I've found a little better solution, maybe someone will find it helpfull.

We had to search EVERY mailbox in company 1000+ users for mail with specific content. As you can Imagine our target export mailbox was full of empty folders and for our legal team that would be a nightmare to browse through them.

Clever way to tackle that I've found is to connect to target mailbox (presume created only for this case) with outlook, create custom search folder with no criteria - this will give you all email that resides in this mailbox. Then you can just easly move them all to PST for any team in your org to read trough them without a need to search through countless folders.

• Proposed as answer by Bartosz Nalepa Friday, August 15, 2014 9:24 AM
    Friday, August 15, 2014 9:20 AM