none
Blocked Programs Trouble RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a known issue with programs defined in the left and right panes of the blocked and not blocked options of SteadyState randomly loosing the data enteded into them.  I have, countless times, enterd the lists of approved applications, only to return at a future time to find that they are all missing (nothing blocked).  Also, I am finding that applications I no longer have installed on this machine keep showing up as not blocked, despite uninstalling them via add/remove programs, and using Windows Installer Cleanup utility to remove and traces of their installs.  Is anyone else experinecing these problems?  Is there a solution?

Thanks,

Robb
    rja17331@yahoo.com
    Saturday, February 9, 2008 9:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

SteadyState creates the list of programs it shows on the Block Programs screen by looking in these two directories (and all of their subdirectories):

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

It will list any EXE it finds, or any LNK (shortcut).  I would guess that the uninstall for some program may have left behind a shortcut, causing that program to continue to show up in SteadyState's list.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:32 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Robb,

Thanks for posting here!

When making changes, please make the user profile is not locked. Also, if you have Windows Disk Protection (WDP) enabled, please temporarily configure it to “Retain all changes permanently” and restart the computer to save changes.

Best Regards,

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 7:50 AM
  • Hi Shawn,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question. 

Windows Disk Protection is turned off.  Likewise, the user profile is also unlocked.  However, now I have a much bigger problem.  Let me provide some detail:

I want to go into SteadyState to make a simple change like check/uncheck a checkbox in Windows Restrictions or Internet Explorer settings.  I enter SS, go to the profile, make the checkbox change, click OK.... then I see an hourglass for a long time.... then the trouble starts... I get a message telling me important system files have been changed and that I need to insert my Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD.  I don't have a XP SP2 "CD" but have SP2 already installed, as well as ALL current high priority updates through Microsoft Update, updated as recently as last week.  So, I have to cancel out of the message... Everything starts to fall apart.  If I minimize SS and look at the desktop and Start Menu, many of my shrotcuts begin losing their icons and functionality.  Notepad, System Restore, Add/Remove Programs, and a whole host of other XP stuff no longer works.  When I go to C:\Windows\System32... most everything that used to live there is gone!  Then, when I attempt to log off of XP, the system hangs.  When I try to boot back up, Hal.dll is missing.  When I try to replace Hal.dll (not an easy task), I recieve more messages about more lost system files.  Fortunately, I have created a bit-by-bit backup using PE Builder and DriveImage XML.  So, I restore from backup, and a few hours later I am ready to try again.  My restored system is completely stable and runs perfectly until I go back into SteadyState, then BANG... it all happens again.  I've been through this four times now and am at a loss for how to correct the problem.  Please help me figure out what is happening and what I can do to resolve the issue.

Thanks again for your time and assistance.

Robb
    Wednesday, February 13, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Hi Robb,

Thank you for your update.

As I know, SteadyState will not delete or rename system files. Thus, I suspect the problem can be related to the following factors:

1. Spyware or virus.

2. Some programs are conflicting with SteadyState.

Thus, I recommend we perform the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

1: Reinstall SteadyState

2: Create a new user to test.

3: Scan for virus and spyware.

4: Run SteadyState under Clean Boot mode

============

Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click Start, go to Run, and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.

2. Click the Services tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All

3. Click the Startup tab, click Disable All and click OK.

Then, restart your computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

4. Please check this issue again.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

Best Regards,

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:23 AM
  • Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the help.

In the case of the disappearing system files, you were correct, I had a program (TweakUI) conflicting with SteadyState.  To resolve the issue, I made the modifications to the limited profile (in this case hiding the system tray notification area) with TweakUI BEFORE I installed SS, rather than adding TweakUI as an allowed application IN SteadyState.   So the mods TweakUI makes work just fine, and SteadyState stays stable as long as I do not add TweakUI to my list of approved apps.

My original problem detailed in this post, however, still persists.  That is, I have several items that continue to populate the allowed programs panel in SteadyState.  The files are all applications that have long since been uninstalled from this computer.  Since SteadyState shows the filenames and paths, I have, of course, searched the hard drive to make certain that these files are not present.  They are not.  Therefore, I can only guess that their references are being pulled from elsewhere.  To that end I have searched the Windows Registry, used Msconfig, and several other startup manager utilities to locate these pesky references, but to no avail.  Can you tell me specifically how the list of approved applications SteadyState displays is generated?  In addition to listing the selections I have made, SteadyState has consistantly been dropping inclusions (like Calc.exe) and adding these others items.  I sure would love to resolve this issue.  Several by-the-book uninstalls/reinstalls have failed to fix the problem.

My sincere thanks again for all of your help in getting me this far.

Robb

Saturday, February 16, 2008 10:38 PM
  • Hi,

SteadyState creates the list of programs it shows on the Block Programs screen by looking in these two directories (and all of their subdirectories):

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

It will list any EXE it finds, or any LNK (shortcut).  I would guess that the uninstall for some program may have left behind a shortcut, causing that program to continue to show up in SteadyState's list.

Sunday, February 17, 2008 2:32 AM
  • Excellent... that did the trick!  You were correct to speculate that a few left-over shortcuts were the cause of the issue.  Thanks so much for a very simple solution to a persistant, and annoying problem.

Best Regards,

Robb
    Sunday, February 17, 2008 10:51 AM