SharePoint Workspace 2010 ONLY online availiability RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any option where users using Sharepoint Workspace 2010 should be able to access documnets only in online mode and should not be able to access or edit any documents in offline mode because documents edited in offline mode will sync with the server the next day I connect my laptop to the network. This is because I don't want the users using virtual desktop to be provided with large storage space. And if I disable offline mode I am unable to setup Sharepoint Workspace 2010 for new user.

I have already tried with these options

All Items, Only Header and No Content

Thanks

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 11:44 AM

All replies

• Given that the whole point of the SharePoint workspace is to enable taking content offline while retaining a SharePoint environment I doubt you will be able to enforce an online only mode.  For that matter why would you want to?  If users are online what do they need SharePoint Workspace for?

Paul Stork SharePoint Server
    MVP Senior Solutions Architect: BlueChip Consulting Group
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:14 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for quick reply

So If I have thousands of documents on Sharepoint server and if I configure Sharepoint Workspace on the client desktop ( virtual desktop ) whole content of that site will be downloaded locally which will consume disk space that desktop for this reason I need ONLY online mode.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:39 PM
  • I had the same question bout an online version only, and the reason behind it is I was hoping to use Sharepoint Workspace as a replacement for an Excel Shared Workbook. I have about 50 users that could update this one spreadsheet. The shared workbook works but not without it's issues.

Regards,

Friday, August 24, 2012 2:51 PM
  • Not sure why you figure SharePoint Workspace would solve the multiple edit problem you are having.  If anything it would make it worse.  If two users who have copies of an Excel Spreadsheet in Workspace both edit it at the same time you will get an error when they try to sync back their changes.  That error would need to be resolved manually by accepting the changes from one version and not the other or by manually editing the file to combine both sets of changes.

Again, SharePoint Workspace in an online only mode doesn't add any capability that SharePoint doesn't already have.  The whole point of SharePoint workspace is to continue the SharePoint experience when you are Offline.  An Online only version is meaningless.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Saturday, August 25, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. Our SharePoint team is toting this as a replacement for the Shared Workook solution. I was trying to get some additional information so I could ask questions when they made the presentation on Shared Workspace.

Thanks again

Monday, August 27, 2012 11:36 AM
  • I suppose it could be viewed as some kind of a replacement for a Shared Workbook since it would let multiple users edit offline copies of the workbook at the same time.  But as I said it will also require manual cleanup of any synchronization issues caused by the multiple edits and it assumes that users are working on an Offline copy of the workbook.

Monday, August 27, 2012 11:46 AM