none
0x8007001f - 0x2006 - The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am trying to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool. Every time I attempt this upgrade, the installation begins and then fails with this error message:

We couldn’t install Windows 10
    0x8007001f - 0x2006
    The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation

I've searched the internet and have not found anything solid on this issue. The answers are all over the place and not all of them apply to the same scenario I am in.

Here are some of the things I've tried so far:

1. Ran all Windows updates until there were no more to run.

2. Update the BIOS to the latest version.

3. Uninstalled any necessary programs.

4. Completely uninstalled my antivirus software.

5. Did a complete clean of the C: drive.

6. Ran SFC/Scannow to check for any corruption.

7. Ran a CHKDSK to check for any disk issues.

I've also found these two articles after all of the research I've done and they seem to be the most thorough:

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-update-error-0x8007001f/

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/safe_os-phase-error-replicate_oc-operation

I have not tried all of the steps in these articles yet because I wanted to post here first before going through all of them.

Has anyone seen this when upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 10 and been able to resolve it?

Thank you!

Friday, November 8, 2019 11:49 PM

All replies

• Hi

Suggest you try the following methods:

1. Create a new user account to check if your account damaged;
    2. Back everything up and perform a clean installation to check if it works.

More details you could refer to the following link:

Cannot Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7, Error Code 0x8007001f - 0x20006.

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Hope can help you. Have a nice day!

Best regards

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 11, 2019 9:19 AM
  • Hi Kiki,

Thank you for the response. I am sure that installing Windows 7 fresh would likely fix this issue, but I am hoping to avoid that if possible. This system is highly customized and would take a lot of work to perform a fresh install and get it back to it's current state. Any other ideas?

The article you provided is helpful, but it looks like doing a fresh install of Windows 7 was what ultimately solved the issue for this user.

Monday, November 11, 2019 7:03 PM
  • Try Windows 10 upgrade advisor,&/or the other default software for youre installation.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Search/en-US?query=windows%2010%20upgrade%20advisor&ac=5

Also,go to youre pc mfg web/downloads/select youre pc model.see if any Win 10 software exist,if not,then the pc might be un-compatable to install 10 in the default settings.

Also,Microsoft/Windows cmds are as:  Sfc /Scannow  &  CHKDSK C: /F  agree to restart,exit cmd,restart pc. 

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 12:06 AM