SCCM 2012 Migrating from XP SP3 to Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• We are in the process of migrating from XP SP3 to Windows 7 in our organization.  The new systems are preimaged from the supplier with a custom image that we are creating and will basically be ready out of the box.  I have looked at several different methods for saving the user state of the current machines.  The preferred method is to use SCCM 2012 to capture the existing user state and then load it onto the new system.  In order for SCCM 2012 to do this though there needs to be an association between the existing computer and the new computer.  The problem with this is that we want to be able to capture the user state prior to this and possibly before knowing which new PC they will be getting.  The only alternative I have found to manage this is to use USMT scanstate with a script that scans the computer and saves the user state, uploads it to their m drive and then run another script that pulls it down from their m drive and restores the user state on the new computer.  Any one have any suggestions on how to accomplish this with SCCM 2012 SP1?

Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Here's a good article to give you a good idea on how this may be done: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh397289.aspx . (How to Manage the User State in Configuration Manager)

-Nick O.

• Marked as answer by MichaelJAllen Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:27 PM
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:11 PM
  • I've had this problem before. Dell were able to provide us with MAC addresses in advance of delivery - problem solved. Just need to match the correct MAC address to the user.

Gerry Hampson | Blog: www.gerryhampsoncm.blogspot.ie | LinkedIn: Gerry Hampson | Twitter: @gerryhampson

Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:38 PM
  • If you're keeping the same machine name you may consider something like:

scanstate.exe m:\%hostname% .......
    loadstate.exe m:\%hostname% .......

each of them published to 2 different collections in a package with 2 different programs (scanstate and loadstate). So you just add machines to each collection on demand.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 12:38 AM
  • Hi,

You can have a VB Script which creates a folder at some network location with the name of the machine & then runs the USMT scanstate command to save the data in the folder created.

Thanks,

Pranay.

Saturday, July 13, 2013 7:00 AM
  • I was succesfully able to capture profiles from the XP3 machine and restore them to the Windows 7 machine using SCCM 2012 and USMT using custom task sequences.
    Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:30 PM