When will there be an option to disable ClearType and use a font that looks good without edge-softening? RRS feed

• Question

• I´m sorry if this question has been up a lot of times, but I can´t find any definitive answer to it.

I have tried Windows 7 for some time now and I have tried everything to get rid of Cleartype. I have succeded in disabling it by turing it of from the control-panel and uncheck the "Use font smoothing for...." in the system settings. However, with cleartype completely off the text looks like this: http://i35.tinypic.com/fu0s4l.jpg since the font used (Segoe UI) needs softening to look good. With cleartype of, the text is blurry, like so: http://i38.tinypic.com/2942tg7.jpg.

Why isn´t there a good alternative to have the text displayed as it were in XP? Crisp and sharp without irritation shadows and softed-edges.

I´ve also tried changing all the Segoe UI fonts to Tahoma (in the apperance-options), this helps some but many places still gets the awfull Segoe-font that just looks like.. well, ____ (sorry for the language).

Is there a way to completely change the Segoe UI font to Tahoma, or do Microsoft really belive that just because some users have use of the cleartype-function, everyone needs to be using it?

If this isn´t changed I will have to switch to another OS since it actually hurts my eyes watching.
    Come on MS, wasn´t the thing with Windows 7 that you should listen to the users and not repeat the same mistake as with Vista?
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 12:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

For ClearType, I would like to share the following with you:

ClearType information

ClearType Font Collection

As I know ClearType is a feature comes with Windows 7. Regarding your feedback, I will report it to our feedback team.

Thanks again for testing Windows 7.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:39 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:12 AM

All replies

• Figured...

Thanks anyway.
    Back to XP for now then, untill this issue is resolved.
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback.

For ClearType, I would like to share the following with you:

ClearType information

ClearType Font Collection

As I know ClearType is a feature comes with Windows 7. Regarding your feedback, I will report it to our feedback team.

Thanks again for testing Windows 7.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Thursday, October 29, 2009 2:39 AM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 11:12 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

It is good to see that you actually listen to these comments and suggestions.

I know a lot of people with me would like to see an easy way to turn of cleartype and with that perhaps automaticly change the fonts from Segoe Ul to something that can be displayed without the smoothing and still look good and crisp. I know that you can change the font today, but this doesn´t remove all appearances of ClearType, and to actually have to make registery changes for this to work is way out of the average users league. Still, well, cleartype is a good invention and definitly good for some users, but not for everyone.

Anyhow, again, thanks for listening to the suggestions. I will keep an eye out for this and when it´s possible to turn the smoothing completely off without having the text look like this (http://i35.tinypic.com/fu0s4l.jpg) I will gladly convert to Windows 7 from XP.

Thank you
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 6:21 AM