NVidia Graphics Card. RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, here is a quick run down of what I am tring to figure out. I have an GeForceTI 4600 Video Card w/ 128MB of Ram. (Going to upgrade Soon Hopefully) here is my delema. In looking at my system performace I am getting a 1 b/c of Video. This is what I am getting.

Total Available Graphics Memory  - Not Detected

Every this else is 0's. Is there a reason it is not detecting the memory onboard my Graphics card. and if I go for a better card which I am on the seach now. AGP only due to my system will it read the RAM on the newer cards.. Or is the more underlying on this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris S.

Wednesday, September 6, 2006 2:08 AM

Answers

• Chris,

Are you using RC1? There have been issues with the system rating in the past, most of them are fixed now. It could even be your driver for your video card which is causing it to rate so low. Yes it will should read the RAM on newer cards, PCIe is your best bet, if you are intersted in purchasing a card now, you should check the manufacture website to see if they have released Vista drivers for it, otherwise use the one you have now, since buying a new one without them could cause it to not work!

Andre Rivera

Friday, September 8, 2006 6:41 PM

All replies

• Someone out there must have some insight on this issue.. I can't determine if the video card is to old for Vista to determine the memory on the card. The Bios detects and reports it so that tends to rule out the MB. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris S.

Thursday, September 7, 2006 12:56 PM
  • Chris,

Are you using RC1? There have been issues with the system rating in the past, most of them are fixed now. It could even be your driver for your video card which is causing it to rate so low. Yes it will should read the RAM on newer cards, PCIe is your best bet, if you are intersted in purchasing a card now, you should check the manufacture website to see if they have released Vista drivers for it, otherwise use the one you have now, since buying a new one without them could cause it to not work!

Andre Rivera

Friday, September 8, 2006 6:41 PM
  • Thanks Andre.

I broke down today and went to Fry's and decided it was finally time to upgrade my video card. Ended up Finding a card that on the front Said "Built for Microsoft Windows Vista" and Works Wonderfull.. Went from my only AGP 4x Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti 4600 w/ 128MB of Ram and a 270Clock to a Nvidia GeForce 7600GSOC (overclocked) AGP 8x w/ 512MB of DDR2. Aero turned on automatically and what a difference in the look of Vista :) Very Please. Sent my system ration from a "1" to a "3.9" not sure if it is out of "5" I think so.. but if it is out of "5" I can't complain running older home built pc by me... and everything working great...

Thanks Again,

Chris S.

Saturday, September 9, 2006 7:40 PM
  • Chris,

The rating is out of 10 I believe ;-) Yours is a bit low... my old gf 5900 ultra had 3.8 and a 7900 GT has 5.9 (5.8 gaming): sounds strange that the 7600 GS gets a score so low.

BTW, if the card has 256mb of more of ram, Aero should be enabled by default.

[Edit: typo, my card is a 7900GT]

Sunday, September 10, 2006 9:25 AM
  • Telstar,

I did think the rating was really low for a 512MB card w/ 420 Mhz Clock, No it is running on AGP 8x but I figured that it would give me a higher rating on the card.. But Aero did enable and runns great no problems at all.. But I did think it was strange w/ that is got such a low score. and it is a card that Nvidia is currently providing drivers for Vista. On the other hand it is only giving my processor a 4.3 which I thought was a bit low. For a P4 2.88 w/ a 800Mhz bus. No HT or Dual though... I do believe from reading other posts that Vista is asking for a bit much to give a high rating.. The highest ratings I have been getting are 5's. Which it gives for my HDD and Memory.. Even w/ a SATA HDD.

Chris

Monday, September 11, 2006 12:39 PM
  • Hate to say it, but Nvidia's drivers for vista suck, as well as they do not answer when you send in valid bugs that have been found.  I have an ASUS 6600 GT and it is rated at 5.8, but if I change the resolution using Nvidias drivers, it drops to 1.0.  I have to uninstall the drivers and reinstall for the rateing to change.

Glenn
    Monday, September 11, 2006 2:22 PM
  •  ganicholson wrote:
    Hate to say it, but Nvidia's drivers for vista suck, as well as they do not answer when you send in valid bugs that have been found.  I have an ASUS 6600 GT and it is rated at 5.8, but if I change the resolution using Nvidias drivers, it drops to 1.0.  I have to uninstall the drivers and reinstall for the rateing to change.

Glenn

Im not having this problem at home. I have an older 5700LE in there and it was rated at 2.1. I went to NVIDIA's web site and downloaded their drivers, installed them and it was still at 2.1

Monday, September 11, 2006 5:16 PM
  • It seems like Nvidia still has some work to do on its driver sets. Glenn I haven't has the problem with the rating dropping I just think that it is odd that my rating is still so low with a new card.. Kinda agitating. But at least I get the full extent of Aero now without a problem plus gaming got alot better.

Chris S.

Monday, September 11, 2006 10:22 PM
  •  busybox wrote:

I did think the rating was really low for a 512MB card w/ 420 Mhz Clock, No it is running on AGP 8x but I figured that it would give me a higher rating on the card.. But Aero did enable and runns great no problems at all.. But I did think it was strange w/ that is got such a low score. and it is a card that Nvidia is currently providing drivers for Vista. On the other hand it is only giving my processor a 4.3 which I thought was a bit low. For a P4 2.88 w/ a 800Mhz bus. No HT or Dual though... I do believe from reading other posts that Vista is asking for a bit much to give a high rating.. The highest ratings I have been getting are 5's. Which it gives for my HDD and Memory.. Even w/ a SATA HDD.

Chris,

The rating problem must be due to nvidia drivers. I'm using the provided microsoft vista driver so far (see other thread about nvidia drivers) and getting good scores.

I dont know how much accurate the performance rating is, but its a very nice toy - it helps people, expecially the ones without a good hardware knowledge of which is the bottleneck in their system providing help for upgrade.

My processor and memory rating comparing to yours are correct I think - i believe the performance scores are not messed up, except graphics ones with some drivers version. I wonder with ATI Cards :)

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 10:30 PM
  • Telstar,

Hopefully Nvidia will fix the issues with the drivers in the near future. But for now I am happy w/ the outcome of the new card.. Gaming as gotten a whole lot better.. I know that my pc setup is a bit out of the norm.. which might make it a bit different since I build my own... For no I will sit back and wait to see what heppens. I did remove the Nvidia drivers and let vista install its own to see if it changed anything. and the rating stayed the same.

Chris S.
    Wednesday, September 13, 2006 1:00 PM
  • Sorry, but it may help. This is sort of an announcement to all.

Nvidia cards, even with the newest drivers, may not be recognized by P4 systems.

Problem is, P4 systems are not set up to assign an IRQ for VGA. If you are running

an AGP card, you will have to find a way to do that in BIOS, or set BIOS to assign AGP last. Conversely, if you are running a PCI card, do the un-thinkable, and stack it at the bottom of the PCI bus. (Works, believe it or not.)

Direct to your problem, since VGA does not recieve an IRQ, memory available for said is not read, but card is visible as "in the slot".

dougmcl

Saturday, January 13, 2007 1:36 AM
  • Rating is 1.0 to 5.9 BTW
    Sunday, January 14, 2007 5:14 PM