Relocating Folders in Windows 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, first time here, I have just built a new Computer with Windows OS 8.1 being located on SSD, but I wish to move My Documents, Music, Pictures, Downloads to my F drive 3TB WD also new no programs installed.

I understand the procedure using Properties and Move, but I have been told that this procedure is only good for Windows 8 and not 8.1, where you should first create a Folder with the corresponding name, like new Documents or something like it and then move the My Documents Folder into the newly created Folder on the F drive (in my system).

Please if anybody can assure me which way to go I would appreciate that.

Cheers

Friday, August 1, 2014 1:47 PM

All replies

• The "My Documents" folder, along with music, pictures, and video are part of the Libraries folder which will not move to another location or drive.  But they can filter all your documents, music, pictures and videos back to the corresponding library.  So if you have a document in another file on the computer it will be linked in the library document folder, but it stored where you saved it. 

Is the 3TB WD an external drive?  If so is it always connected?  If it's always connected then it should be able to map back to the Library documents folder. 

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 12:19 PM
  • Hello and thank you. I don't quite follow you explanation, but I do have my Documents, Music, Video, Pictures and Downloads folders on my internal 3TB drive, and windows is sending the files there now.

This way my SSD is only for OS and Programs.

helm13

Sunday, August 17, 2014 1:05 PM