none
Help with a custom MSI package RRS feed

• Question

• Hello peeps, I really need some help with proper command line in Intune.

I'm trying to deploy a custom .MSI package (It was an EXE but converted to an MSI).

Now I know the MSI package works because I can launch it manually, but don't know the correct command lines in Intune to deploy it.

Now, since this MSI package is not Microsoft software, do I upload it as an update or just as software.

Also (and most importantly) what command line do I use in order to deploy it to a computer that doesn't have admin rights and a silent install.

I tried leaving the command line blank but didn't work, also used /Install /Silent and didn't work either.

I tried searching everywhere online but no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Friday, November 1, 2013 12:51 AM

Answers

• You upload as Managed Software. Non-Microsoft Update is for uploading updates from 3rd parties such as Adobe Flash updates etc.

Have you checked the logs? C:\Program Files\Microsoft\OnlineManagement\Logs and also Event Viewer Application log for Windows Installer failures.

There could be a number of things wrong. You said you can install the app manually. Does it need network access for something? Windows Intune installs the app using the SYSTEM account so no network access. Is there a custom action? Have you tried a different MSI package, one that you haven't custom made and does that install? To answer your original question, you don't need the switches for a quiet install. You just upload the MSI file and Intune will do a quite install. You don't need any other command line arguments unless you want to specify property values like TRANSFORMS file e.t.c.

• Edited by PMLIO Friday, November 1, 2013 6:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Morrissey0023 Monday, November 4, 2013 6:19 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 6:19 PM

All replies

• Normally you just need to upload the MSI together with all supporting files if required. I don't know how you packaged it but if there are cab files etc. make sure the option to include additional files in the same folder is enabled. Intune automatically does a silent install so you don't need those switches.

Friday, November 1, 2013 10:53 AM
  • 1st off, Thank you for the reply PMLIO, I really do appreciate it.

I did upload all related files (MSI package did not include .CAB file). I also left the command argument as no in Intune software publisher and it wouldn't install on any of the test machines.

I came in this morning and the installation was Pending for all (7) of my test users.

If I manually try to run the package from the test computer (It shows it as available), it states "Another installation is in progress, the following software did not install" and wont allow me no matter how long I wait and nothing is running in Task Manager.

I read somewhere to use something like msiexec /i mytestpackage.msi /a /qn

Also, do I upload the custom MSI file as a Managed software or as a Non-Microsoft Update?

Thanks.

Friday, November 1, 2013 1:20 PM
  • This is what I get when I run the custom MSI without any command lines.

And then

Friday, November 1, 2013 3:45 PM
  • You upload as Managed Software. Non-Microsoft Update is for uploading updates from 3rd parties such as Adobe Flash updates etc.

Have you checked the logs? C:\Program Files\Microsoft\OnlineManagement\Logs and also Event Viewer Application log for Windows Installer failures.

There could be a number of things wrong. You said you can install the app manually. Does it need network access for something? Windows Intune installs the app using the SYSTEM account so no network access. Is there a custom action? Have you tried a different MSI package, one that you haven't custom made and does that install? To answer your original question, you don't need the switches for a quiet install. You just upload the MSI file and Intune will do a quite install. You don't need any other command line arguments unless you want to specify property values like TRANSFORMS file e.t.c.

• Edited by PMLIO Friday, November 1, 2013 6:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Morrissey0023 Monday, November 4, 2013 6:19 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Start with this:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj676599.aspx

Like PMLIO said, check the Updates.log in our logs for the error message.  Typically, just using the MSI without any switches will work fine.  You shouldn't need to use MSIEXEC seperately and the command lines you're using.

You can probably just deploy the EXE, and with proper switches it will install silently.  I wouldn't convert it to a MSI.

You can also contact the vendor for assistance.

The best way to test your package install is to attempt a local install and make sure it's 100% silent.  If it's silent in a local install and requires no interaction it should work for Intune.

Thanks,

Jon L. - MSFT - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.

Friday, November 1, 2013 10:05 PM
  • Thank you PMLIO and Jon. I went ahead and took out any command line and installed properly on one of the computers. The issue seems to be with the MSI and additional folders.

I appreciate your help.

Monday, November 4, 2013 6:19 PM