none
A serious problem in time entry in timesheet using Single-entry mode, times go to the previous day!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

Recently we are facing with a strange problem using timesheet of Project Server 2010.

There are some tasks that when I add times on them using timesheet page, and then save the timesheet, the times that I added shift to the previous day. So, the time for the current day becomes 0.

This inconsistency will publish in the ProjectServer_Reporting database too. 

The main point is that this case happens only when "Single-entry Mode" is ON.

• Edited by mhhe Monday, August 13, 2012 11:17 AM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 10:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

in this case, I suggest to upgrade as soon as possible. "Changing Actuals" have improved a lot since July 2011. I have a customer with some serious issues in this area. They are now working with CU 04/2012, and there are nearly no issues any more. However, try to get the latest CU, I think to remember, that there was another fix in June.

Good luck!
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by mhhe Monday, August 13, 2012 1:55 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Just one addition: If you apply CU Dec 2011 or later (what you need to do), SEM will change. SEM will only work in one direction:

• Any change in Timesheets will be reflected in Tasks.
    • No change in Tasks will be reflected in previously created Timesheets.

So I suggest to test carefully before and train your users on this!

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by mhhe Monday, August 13, 2012 1:57 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 1:49 PM

All replies

• Hi,

what patch level are you running? There had be some corrections regarding SEM in some cumulative updates. A major one with CU 12/2011 and some more with CUs later on. What's the latest one you applied?

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, August 13, 2012 12:56 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Our latest CU is July 2011.

Regards

--Mhhe

• Edited by mhhe Monday, August 13, 2012 12:59 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Hi,

in this case, I suggest to upgrade as soon as possible. "Changing Actuals" have improved a lot since July 2011. I have a customer with some serious issues in this area. They are now working with CU 04/2012, and there are nearly no issues any more. However, try to get the latest CU, I think to remember, that there was another fix in June.

Good luck!
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by mhhe Monday, August 13, 2012 1:55 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 1:25 PM
  • Just one addition: If you apply CU Dec 2011 or later (what you need to do), SEM will change. SEM will only work in one direction:

• Any change in Timesheets will be reflected in Tasks.
    • No change in Tasks will be reflected in previously created Timesheets.

So I suggest to test carefully before and train your users on this!

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by mhhe Monday, August 13, 2012 1:57 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Thank you so much Barbara.

I'm downloading CU Dec 2011 and I will check the issue again.

Regards,

--Mhhe

Monday, August 13, 2012 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

when you take the time to test a CU, I suggest to take a more recent one, like April or even June. They will include all changes of December.

Regards
    Barbara

Monday, August 13, 2012 2:11 PM
  • I second Barbara's advice that you go with the April or June CU.  This will repair a number of issues that you may not yet have seen regarding SEM.

The other thing I recommend is, under Server Settings / Task Settings and Display, check the box named Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets. I was seeing the same day-jumping behavior until I set this flag.

This will force the Project Plans to reflect what's reported on the Timesheets.  If you're doing clean-up, you may want to temporarily clear this checkbox to allow you to force things to be correct, but lock it back down when you're done.

We're using our timesheets for internal charge-backs, so SEM and the above task update lock get us reports that are accounting-division acceptable.

- Tom

• Edited by TASB Tom Monday, August 13, 2012 9:08 PM
    • Proposed as answer by TASB Tom Monday, August 13, 2012 9:08 PM
    Monday, August 13, 2012 9:05 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

I install the latest update of Project server (June 2012), the problem partially resolved, now, when I report a time, the actual stay at its corresponding day, but the planned value jump to the previous day!!

Is there any way to investigate the origin of this error?

Thanks again for your responses. 

--Mhhe

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 5:03 AM
  • mhhe,

What is your current setting for the Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets?  Checking this box is the only way to prevent the issue you're having with jumping time.

Good luck,

- Tom

Wednesday, August 15, 2012 12:43 PM