Vista won't install or boot with TV Tuner installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Windows Vista will not install nor will it boot with either one of my two TV Tuner cards installed. Both cards work fine with Windows XP.

Vista will not boot into Normal mode or even in Safe mode. It hangs at the screen where the progress bar is shown during boot. If you watch closely, the screen fades in before the progress bar starts moving. In my case Vista always hangs when the progress bar is about half-way faded in (so it looks greyish).

Here is what I have tried:

1. Install (boot from DVD) : After the "Loading Files" screen, Vista hangs at the progress bar.

2. Boot normal mode : Vista hangs at the progress bar.

3. Boot safe mode : Vista loads all drivers (disk, etc). as normal, but then hangs.

I had to remove my tuner card to install, but now I can't boot with it in so I am kind of stuck here. Any help is appreciated.

My hardware:

Motherboard - ABIT IL9 Pro
    CPU - Core 2 Duo 2.66ghz
    Video Card - ATI Fire GL 7350 (PCI express)
    TV Tuner - either ATI TV Wonder, or the Fusion HDTV5 Gold. Neither one will boot!
    Hard disk - 300GB SATA
    RAM - 2GB

Friday, March 2, 2007 4:34 PM

All replies

•  

... crickets ...  

Sunday, March 4, 2007 1:15 AM
  • I have the exact same problem. 

Motherboard:  ASUS P5W DH Deluxe
    Windows Vista Ultimate
    ATI TV Wonder 650 and also tried WinTV-HVR 1600

I have not found a solution and Microsoft is no help with this one, they pretty much said it's up to the mfg to fix it.

Friday, March 16, 2007 2:23 AM
  •  I believe there is a BIOS update for your board which fixes the problem for your board.  No such luck from ABIT though.

It still seems like this is a Windows Vista problem, (and mobo manufacturers are expected to work around it), since XP and all other OS's boot just fine with the card installed.

Friday, March 16, 2007 2:56 PM
  • I have exactlly same problem before. But I got one MSI motherboard with nForce2 chipset on it, my TV tuner is ATI TV Wonder 650 Pro.

I use the nForce GART driver for XP to replace the VISTA system files, then everything goes perfectly.

The problem is Microsoft Vista system file "nv_agp.sys" in my case. Just replace it. That's it.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 12:59 AM