none
Windows XP/2003 Question RRS feed

• Question

• I'm deploying Windows XP via MDT but I keep getting prompted for the Product code. We are using Volume activation. I have tried setting ProductKey="" in the customsettings.ini file.  The code is in the sysprep.inf and Unattended.txt file under the Control\Sequence number. 

My questions are

1.  How can I tell if that file is being processed.  I currently deploy Windows 7 and 2008R2 but I don't think it's working 100% so I have done the following as a workaround.  I run my normal sysprep file against and then sysprep it again... 

2. How can I enter this product key into the deployment?

This is a custom image because I am taking a legacy image(Used Clonezilla before) pre syspreped and I'm making a *wim file using the sysprep and capture action.  Then I insert this OS into a standard client template. 

Any ideas?

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:45 AM

Answers

• I figured out my problem... I feel pretty silly.  I was using a volume key for server 2003, I ended up comparing the file in the *.wim file to what my working sysprep file was and I found the problem...

• Marked as answer by mrtba Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:26 PM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:25 PM

All replies

• Don't know which version of MDT you are using, but support for XP has been dropped by MDT and by Microsoft (accept for company's who are willing to pay)

To skip the product key question, you need to specify the following property in your customsettings.ini / rules file:

"SkipProductKey=YES"

This disables the product key wizard, the fact that you specify the product key, does not mean the wizard may not be displayed. Here you may find a list of properties that can be specified in your cs.ini and its purpose, and how they should be used: Microsoft Deployment Toolkit Documentation Library Property Definition which you could have found also in the MDT help file in the MDT console.

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 7:13 PM
  • I figured out my problem... I feel pretty silly.  I was using a volume key for server 2003, I ended up comparing the file in the *.wim file to what my working sysprep file was and I found the problem...

• Marked as answer by mrtba Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:26 PM
    Wednesday, November 19, 2014 9:25 PM