none
Need Product ID for windows 7 professional - but, current product key only has 20 characters.

Question

• I am making a recovery disk for my dell latitude E6440 laptop and began the process to make a Windows 7 professional DVD.  However, the Product Key I found on the computer only has 20 characters and on the Windows download site I received an error, saying I needed 25 characters.

Not sure where I go from here.  Dell said the Windows 7 professional Product ID was correct.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 10:03 PM

Answers

• Do not confuse the Product ID number with the COA / Sticker 25 character product key.

You should find the product key sticker either on the bottom of the laptop or inside the battery case, you may need to remove the battery.

----------------------------  Product key Letters and numbers ------------------

Do not confused the letter B with the number 8, the letter Q with the letter O.
    the Letter G and the number 6.

Not used letters: A, E, I, O U and L S U Z    Numbers not used: 0 1 and 5

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:25 AM
  • Hi Napolito,

According to your description, please know the Product ID is 20 characters and the Product Key is 25 characters. When you make a recovery disk for your computer we should type the Product Key to activate.

If you purchased a new computer with OEM version of Windows 7 preinstalled, you need to check the computer case to find out the product key or contact the OEM support.

If you purchased a retail version of Windows 7, please check the package or confirm with the retailer.

If you have not purchased a version of Windows 7, please contact the local Microsoft Customer Service Center or go to the store to purchase one copy

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:42 AM

All replies

• Do not confuse the Product ID number with the COA / Sticker 25 character product key.

You should find the product key sticker either on the bottom of the laptop or inside the battery case, you may need to remove the battery.

----------------------------  Product key Letters and numbers ------------------

Do not confused the letter B with the number 8, the letter Q with the letter O.
    the Letter G and the number 6.

Not used letters: A, E, I, O U and L S U Z    Numbers not used: 0 1 and 5

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 12:25 AM
  • Hi Napolito,

According to your description, please know the Product ID is 20 characters and the Product Key is 25 characters. When you make a recovery disk for your computer we should type the Product Key to activate.

If you purchased a new computer with OEM version of Windows 7 preinstalled, you need to check the computer case to find out the product key or contact the OEM support.

If you purchased a retail version of Windows 7, please check the package or confirm with the retailer.

If you have not purchased a version of Windows 7, please contact the local Microsoft Customer Service Center or go to the store to purchase one copy

Hope it will be helpful to you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 31, 2016 11:42 AM