none
Project 2007: Send To Mail Recipient (As Attachment) = 3MB filesize; Save to Disk = 8MB filesize RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Project Standard 2007. When I use the "Send To -> Mail Recipient (As Attachment)" feature, the resulting email has a .mpp file attachment that's 3MB in size. When I save the .mpp to my hard-drive, it's 8MB in size. Why the difference and how can I fix this so that I can directly get the same size file on my hard-drive?
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 3:35 AM

All replies

• Bonzo60,

Frankly, I can only speculate on "why the difference". Probably because the file that Project creates for the mail sending is cleaned of deleted data so that the file size is minimal. 

Is there any particular reason why you care or need "the same file size"? 

If that is important to you, why don't you just email a copy of the file that is on your hard-drive?

Take a look at Question 43 at http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm#Handling_project_file_corruption_and/or_bloat and if you are concerned about the file size, this article gives some advice for how to clean up the file.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:13 AM
  • I naturally want the smaller file size for hard-drive space reasons as well as for email attachments. Also, in another thread, my ability to use the "Send To -> Mail Recipient" feature is not working after an upgrade of Office from 2007 to 2013. So, I'm now having to manually attach an 8MB .mpp file to emails instead of a 3MB file. Recipient email inbox quotas differ from one person to another, so the smaller the attachment, the better.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2015 8:56 PM
  • What you now say doesn't match up with the original question.  

The difference between 8 mb and 3 mb on today's hard disks is trivial and I would recommend you not worry about it.  If you need to keep the file size down for emails, just compress to a Zip file is what i'd recommend.  

Also see that link about how to fixed "bloated" files, but frankly, that should be only done when needed; otherwise better to spend time thinking about the project model in Project and not the file sizes. 

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:02 PM