Word 2010 upgrade sees all old Word Documents as Adobe files RRS feed

• Question

• I recently upgraded from Word 2003 to 2010 on one of my computers on my network. All other computers on the network are still on 2003 but I will upgrade later. When I try to open any of the old documents with 2010, it sees them all as Adobe files and tries to open Adobe, which says it does not recognize the files. This happens when trying to open any word document on any computer on the network. All 2003 versions can access all files on any computer on the network with no problem, so I know the files have not been converted, it is just that the new Word 2010 must be configured in such a way that it is doing this. Also, the files are still .doc files. Please help.
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 2:43 AM

Answers

• This is a file association issue, as far as I can tell. Try the following: Exit Word. Hold the Windows logo key as you press R; in the Run dialog box, type winword /r and press Enter (note the space before the slash). After the configuration has completed, try double-clicking *.doc files again. If it still doesn’t work, take a look at http://www.gmayor.com/document_not_found.htm.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Friday, October 12, 2012 1:59 AM
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 6:10 PM