none
Windows 10 - Update and Restart VS Restart options

Question

• Hello,

I just applied June monthly updates via SCCM 1702, when the updates were done installing, I noticed new options in the Power option : "Update and Restart" & "Update and Shutdown".

We choosed "Restart" (only), but still the computer applied the updates. any idea why would it apply them even though we didn't select "Update and Restart" ?

Thanks,

Tuesday, June 20, 2017 3:12 PM

All replies

• I think that this question would fit better in a Windows forum.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 6:17 AM
  • Hi,

When I tested this in my Win10 1703 clients, there're only options "Update and Restart" & "Update and Shutdown"  appeared when I click Power button. If i launch a restart using commands "shutdown /r /f /t 00" it still applied the updates.

Regards,

Jimmy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 11:57 AM
  • Here is what I get, and seems to be new since SCCM 1606

Restart options for Windows 10 clients after software update installation

When a software update that requires a restart is deployed by using Configuration Manager and is installed on a computer, a pending restart is scheduled. A restart dialog box is also displayed. Beginning in Configuration Manager version 1606, the options Update and Restart and Update and Shutdown are available whenever there is a pending restart for a Configuration Manager software update. These are available in the Windows power options of Windows 10 computers. After using one of these options, the restart dialog box will not display after the computer restarts.

For details, see Plan for software updates in System Center Configuration Manager.

Wednesday, June 21, 2017 1:09 PM
  • Hi,

After testing in my lab (ConfigMgr 1702 with Win10 1703 clients) I can confirm that no matter what option you chosen (Shutdown, Restart) the updates will be applied. After restarting, the pending reboot notification will disappear.

Regards,

Jimmy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 22, 2017 7:25 AM
  • Do we know why? is it a defect that will be addressed ? as it confuses the end-users .
    Thursday, June 22, 2017 4:29 PM
  • Do we know why? is it a defect that will be addressed ? as it confuses the end-users .

Hi,

I'm not sure if it is a defect. You can request a support ticket with Microsoft CSS to confirm this. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Jimmy

Friday, June 23, 2017 3:07 AM
  • Was premier support ever consulted on this issue?

Will

Friday, November 17, 2017 1:32 PM