none
Outlook 2013: Accessing Exchange with Outlook 2013 and OST on mulitple machines? RRS feed

• Question

• My organization recently transitioned to off-site Exchange servers.  Users were upgraded to Office 365 / Outlook 2013 using OST files (PST files previously

In addition to my work laptop, I have Outlook 2013 available on a personal Surface Pro 3.  I cannot find a definitive answer on whether it will be a problem to connect to Exchange via Outlook 2013 using an OST files from both the work laptop and personal tablet.  Will having OST files on separate machines create sync issues?  I have access to Outlook Web Access on the Surface, but prefer the Outlook desktop application for quick actions and other tools.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 2:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Typically, when you use a Microsoft Exchange Server account, your email messages, calendar, and other items are delivered to and saved on the server. You can configure Outlook to keep a local copy of your items on your computer in an Outlook data file that is named an offline Outlook Data File (.ost).

As what Amit says, there would be no issue configuring Exchange account from both the work laptop and personal tablet. The OST file is synchronized with the Exchange computer when a connection is available. It is synced from Exchange server instead of the Outlook client from your first account computer.

For more information about Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost), please refer to:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/introduction-to-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-HA010354876.aspx

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:18 AM
  • You shouldn't have any issue with synchronizing your mailbox to two different devices... Mostly synchronization issue happens when there is sluggish network connectivity and there is network communication break between outlook and server. I have seen many people connecting to same mailbox from multiple devices and don't get issues at all...
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:38 PM

All replies

• You shouldn't have any issue with synchronizing your mailbox to two different devices... Mostly synchronization issue happens when there is sluggish network connectivity and there is network communication break between outlook and server. I have seen many people connecting to same mailbox from multiple devices and don't get issues at all...
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:38 PM
  • Hi,

Typically, when you use a Microsoft Exchange Server account, your email messages, calendar, and other items are delivered to and saved on the server. You can configure Outlook to keep a local copy of your items on your computer in an Outlook data file that is named an offline Outlook Data File (.ost).

As what Amit says, there would be no issue configuring Exchange account from both the work laptop and personal tablet. The OST file is synchronized with the Exchange computer when a connection is available. It is synced from Exchange server instead of the Outlook client from your first account computer.

For more information about Outlook Data Files (.pst and .ost), please refer to:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/introduction-to-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-HA010354876.aspx

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 7:18 AM