Capturing XP x64 SP2 SysPrep'd image using WDS on Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got a Windows XP x64 SP2 installation which I've customised to my liking, then opened the cab file to get the sysprep tools from the Windows XP x64 CD - I used setupmgr to create an answers file, saved the answers file in the default location, and then ran sysprep.exe, selected "Mini-Setup", then clicked "Factory" and waited for the system to shut down.

I then booted it via my WDS server (using a Windows Vista x64 boot.wim which I used to create a Capture image) and got all the way to the point where I select which volume to image. Only 1 problem: The drop down list is blank; No volumes can be selected.

So I pressed Shift+F10 and typed C:, to ensure WDSCapture can see my storage (i.e. to eliminate lack of drivers), and I was able to get into C: drive and type "dir" and verify that the system can indeed see my C: drive which is meant to be sysprepped.

This points to the system not being sysprep'd correctly. Can someone please either review my sysprep process above in the first paragraph or alternatively point me to a step by step guide that shows how to do it correctly?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Saturday, February 12, 2011 6:54 AM

Answers

• Disregard that. Turns out after customising the system, you have to run setupmgr to create the answer file, then run Sysprep and click "Factory" and let the system shut down, power it on and then run sysprep again and click "reseal", THEN boot from PXE and image the node.
    • Marked as answer by breakaway9001 Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:13 AM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:13 AM

All replies

• Disregard that. Turns out after customising the system, you have to run setupmgr to create the answer file, then run Sysprep and click "Factory" and let the system shut down, power it on and then run sysprep again and click "reseal", THEN boot from PXE and image the node.
    • Marked as answer by breakaway9001 Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:13 AM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 7:13 AM
  • This worked perfectly for me, with a couple of additions/modifications.  I copied the "factory" binary to the Sysprep folder in addition to the other prerequisites.

I use WDS on server 2008R2 with SP1 and I used a Windows 7 (x64) capture WIM to get this job done.

I added the pre-install RAID drivers and network card drivers to my Windows 7 pre-install image before running the sysprep phase.

All in all, after preparing my reference machine, it took about 20 minutes to complete the entire capture and deployment process to and from my WDS server.  Pretty efficient.

I can FINALLY retire Acronis!  :-)

Thank you for sharing your insights.  Much appreciated.

Steve Meggeson A+, MCSA, MCSE, MCITP, MCT steve@teksource.ca

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:43 PM