none
Project Server 2013 Very Poor Performance RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We have recently deployed a project server environment for a client that has a very large project file (13000 tasks).

The project environment is as follows:

1 SharePoint 2013 application server, 24GB of RAM, 4 vCPU

1 SharePoint 2013Web Server, 24GB of RAM, 4vCPU

1 SQL 2012 Server, 32GB of RAM, 8 vCPU, Database files and logs split to a different set of disks

Only about 3-4 people access the prone t right now concurrently.

We originally imported the file from an existing MPP into project server, and converted all custom fields and lookup tables  (about 15-20) into enterprise.

The primary access method is through Project Pro 2013.

The performance is ok during normal operation. However, saving takes from 5-10 minutes, and it can take anywhere from 1-3 minutes for the project to even open in Project Pro 2013 on the same local LAN.

Is this about standard for a file of this size? What can be done to optimize this experience. I have heard over 5000 tasks causes a serious degradation in Performance.

Thanks all!

Saturday, March 15, 2014 2:27 AM

All replies

• Hello, is it only this plan or plans of similar sizes that are giving performance issues? Do other plans less than 3 thousand tasks perform ok? If so I would, either live with the slow performance of the 13000 task plan or break it up into smaller more manageable plans. How is performance for open and save in PWA editing? Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS

Saturday, March 15, 2014 7:41 AM
  • Curious, what is the spec on the client computer, since that's where it has to land?  Do you run 32 bit or 64 bit Office / Project Pro?

what is the overall network bandwidth between the client and server?

I agree with Paul, can this monster project be split up?

hope that helps,

Thanks, Eric S. Pcubed

Thursday, March 20, 2014 5:13 AM