blocking all websites in windows xp other than the ones specified. RRS feed

• Question

• I am familiar with Steady State, we used to use it on our POS tills for security etc....but one feature of it, the ability to block all websites but ones specified is handy.  I think i read somewhere that Steady State will be discontinued in June, so this wont help but I need to do the exact same thign this feature did.

I asked in the Steady State forum but was directed here since Steady State is not part of this picture.

We have Backoffice Computers that our stores use and that are constantly getting infected.  We are creating a new image and want to lock out all websites but ones specified.  How do i do it. 

I thought of adding a HOSTS file but that also requires the IP and since that can change frequently, we just want to allow the site name not by IP. also dont wish to spend alot of money on this as I have about 100 individual sites that will be connected to a domain but no WSUS server to push out updates.  So this is going to be added at an upcoming image rollout.

Help? ideas? Suggestions?

postechie

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:22 PM

All replies

• You can do this with business/enterprise class router/firewall appliance.

John

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:09 PM
  • Doing it through the router/firewall appliance is not a financial option as per licensing etc. 

I need to do this through software as i dont want this blocked on other devices...just a computer that uses Ms Office/Browser and a couple other apps..thats it. 

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 7:47 PM