none
Windows Server 2016 Backup Fails: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Question

• Hi

On my 3 Windows Server 2016 Machines: When I set up a new Backup Schedule, after a few days it fails to do the Backup. I tried everything from Virtual Drives to full and copy Backups..

My Antivirus Solution is Windows Defender. And this defenitly should not interfere with the backup. Or should it?

The error is the following:

The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.

Errors from Event Manager:

Backup
    "The backup operation that started at '‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎23T01:30:03.629670800Z' has failed with following error code '0x80070020' (The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved."

CAPI2
    "Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
    AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
    Access is denied."

FilterManager
    "Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolume21'.  This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot.  The final status was 0xC03A001C."

CAPI2
    Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
    AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
    Access is denied.

Any Ideas?

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 5:51 AM

All replies

• Hi David,

Based on the research, the Windows Backup 0x80070020 error is a sharing violation error, there is a file or files that have open handles to another process or processes that are locking the file or files from being copied by backup.

May I ask what do you backup? And where do you backup to?
    For a test, if you just run ONCE Backup, and backup to local drive, same results?

And in general, files may locked by security program. If possible, could you please also try perform a clean boot in Windows and try backup?

Please first patch your server to the latest to a check
    On server 2016, event 513. Tis problem occurs because VSS System Writer does not have permission to read the NT AUTHORITY\SERVICE (service account).

Please follow the KB for more details

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3209092/event-id-513-when-running-vss-in-windows-server
    For Filter Manager event, you can safely ignore these Filter Manager events if they occur at the time a Backup runs. It won't hurt any operations
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/429fef34-d244-4c89-919c-55716a4746db/filter-manager-failed-to-attach-to-volume-deviceharddiskvolume21?forum=winserveressentials

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 8:13 AM
  • Hi Mary

I am Backing up the "users" folder and a complete ssd to a local hard drive. If I run it once, I get the same Results. I cannot perform a clean Boot at the moment, since people are working on the Workstations. I aleready patched the Servers with the latest updates.

Do you succest to to do the workarount for event513?

Thanks and Best Regards

David

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

>I am Backing up the "users" folder and a complete ssd to a local hard drive.

Any other service running under the folder and driver?

If you try to backup  other folders to do a check?

And if it still no clue, please also download sysinternals  process monitor and see if you can figure out what process is causing the error.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:28 AM
  • hi,

Workaround to event 513 was successful, but dit not have any impact on my error.

I tried to back up just one file on c:/Temp. That gave the same error.

I don't know for what to search/filter on sysinternals process monitor.

I only saw that the CreateFileMapping Operation tried to access several files in the System32 Folder but the Result ist "FILE LOCKED WITH ONLY READERS". The files are the following:

eventcls.dll
    stdole2.tlb
    vss_ps.dll
    msxml3.dll
    msxml3r.dll
    sfc_os.dll

I don't understand why the implemented and payed for backup solution does not work. I mean, it should be a simple task..

It is still the thing, that when I set up a new backup schedule, it works a few days and then not anymore.

Best Regards

David

Friday, June 08, 2018 8:46 AM
  • Hi,David,

I was once faced with a similar problem you described above. Before i decide format my Samsung SSD, i need to make a full backup of this hard drive to avoid data loss. But it failed a lot times and i told one of my friends he knows some more stuff about computer. And he introduced a very powerful backup software-AOMEI Backupper Pro. It could work well in Windows Server 2016, it allows you to make full/incremental/differential backups. If your windows backup till fails, try this one.

https://www.backup-utility.com/professional.html

Best Regards

• Edited by emilywang Monday, June 25, 2018 6:20 AM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2018 9:14 AM