Move mailbox error on Exchange 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Need some help here. Exchange 2007 SP1. I've been moving mailboxes recently abd everything has been fine. Today while moving 3 mailboxes, I lost my VPN connection before the Move mailbox job had a chance to complete. When I logged in, I noticed the mailboxes were still in the original database and not in the other one. When I tried to run the job again, I'm getting an error indicating a duplicate mailbox:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Exchange Migration
    Event Category: Move Mailbox
    Event ID: 1008
    Date:  9/10/2011
    Time:  7:48:45 PM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: Exchange

Description:
    The move-mailbox task for mailbox 'user' failed.
    Error: Failed to copy basic mailbox information with error: A duplicate mailbox was found due to problems during a Move Mailbox procedure. The duplicate mailbox has been deleted. Try again later.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

How do I go about clearing this error? These are live production mail accounts. I verified with one user that they can still access their account and they were able to. How do I go about trying to move the mailbox again? Do I simply try it again or is there something I need to do beforehand. Thanks for any advice

Sunday, September 11, 2011 1:19 AM

Answers

• Hi Roberto,

To check if there is a duplicate mailbox, please run the following comlet against the source and target mailbox databse:

Clean-MailboxDatabase -Identity “<Exchange2007Server>\<StorageGroup>\<SourceorTargetMailboxDatabase>”

After clean up the database on each mailbox databse, we need go to Exchange Management Console -> Recipient Configuration -> Disconnected Mailbox to check the duplicate mailbox.

Best Regards!
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:02 AM

All replies

• On Sun, 11 Sep 2011 01:19:24 +0000, Roberto Serrano wrote:

>
    >
    >Need some help here. Exchange 2007 SP1. I've been moving mailboxes recently abd everything has been fine. Today while moving 3 mailboxes, I lost my VPN connection before the Move mailbox job had a chance to complete. When I logged in, I noticed the mailboxes were still in the original database and not in the other one. When I tried to run the job again, I'm getting an error indicating a duplicate mailbox:
    >
    >Event Type: Error Event Source: Exchange Migration Event Category: Move Mailbox Event ID: 1008 Date: 9/10/2011 Time: 7:48:45 PM User: N/A Computer: Exchange
    >
    >Description: The move-mailbox task for mailbox 'user' failed. Error: Failed to copy basic mailbox information with error: A duplicate mailbox was found due to problems during a Move Mailbox procedure. The duplicate mailbox has been deleted. Try again later.
    >
    >For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    >
    >
    >
    >How do I go about clearing this error?

The situation has already been corrected by the removal of the mailbox
    from the target database. That mailbox was created when you began to
    move the mailbox from its original location. When the move failed the
    mailbox was left in the target database.

>These are live production mail accounts. I verified with one user that they can still access their account and they were able to. How do I go about trying to move the mailbox again? Do I simply try it again or is there something I need to do beforehand. Thanks for any advice

Just move the mailbox again.

---
    Rich Matheisen
    MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Rowen-Xu Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:38 AM
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Hi Roberto,

To check if there is a duplicate mailbox, please run the following comlet against the source and target mailbox databse:

Clean-MailboxDatabase -Identity “<Exchange2007Server>\<StorageGroup>\<SourceorTargetMailboxDatabase>”

After clean up the database on each mailbox databse, we need go to Exchange Management Console -> Recipient Configuration -> Disconnected Mailbox to check the duplicate mailbox.

Best Regards!
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 6:02 AM