locked
Issue uploading Office 2003 documents to a MOSS 2007 farm RRS feed

  • Question

  • Have 2 issues at the moment that it appears that nobody has ever seen before, but this one is an interesting one.

    This is a MOSS 2007 SP2 farm, and currently when a user goes to upload an Office 2003 file (.doc, .xls) to a document library, it gives the error 'The file name is invalid or the file is empty. A file name cannot contain any of the following characters: \ / : * ? " < > | # { } % ~ &'. I've tested this over and over, and the file doesn't have any special characters at all (filename | inside). If i simply change the name of the exact same file to .docx, it uploads right away without issues.

    The oddest thing I've come across thus far is that this uploading issue doesn't happen on my machine, but it does on the 5 other computers I've tested from. Note that I've tried different accounts across each computer, it appears to be coming from the desktop machine itself. It happens on every site as well.

    I've mimic'd the HOSTS files, IE Settings, etc, all with no luck and also had the network shop turn off the security measures for that site. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 5:39 PM

All replies

  • Hi Andrew,

     

    According to your description, I suggest you to do the following things:

    1.       Refer to these two KB articles to see if the filename meet the requirement and see if it has any words cannot be used in file, folder, or shortcut names:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx;

                    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177506.

    2.       Make sure that the file is located on the local computer.

    3.       I have come across a situation that if the path of your file contains more than 100 characters, will cause this problem. Try to give a short path to the file to see if this could solve the issue.

     

    Thanks & Regards,

    Peng Lei

    Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:26 AM
  • (sorry if this double posts, but my reply was never posted)

    Peng Lei, thanks for the info and ideas, and this was where my troubleshooting had led in the past without any success. I've tried to upload from the local C:\, from a remote server \\server\c$\ , from a share Z:\ , and just about anywhere else i could try..all without success on a system having the issue.

    There are a few important notes on this issue:

    -This only happens with .doc and .xls files, and if i change the name of the exact same files to .docx or .xlsx, that file will immediately upload.
    -The error does not occurr on my local machine (with any account), however it will not work on any other machines that i've tested (with any account).
    -On a machine with the issue, I can use Explorer view in order to upload the file, however, when using the single or multiple file upload method, it gives an error.

    Many thanks,
    Andrew

    Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:24 PM
  • Anyone have any ideas on this, even the most mundane will be tried :) Thanks, Andrew
    Monday, April 4, 2011 1:40 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

    Are you running both versions of Office on the machines?This sometimes does not work well with documents.

    Also, refer the following article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833714 and run the steps mentioned.

    Let me know how it goes.

    Monday, April 4, 2011 2:28 PM
  • VikSrini, Thank you for the ideas, and this is actually a KB that I hadn't run through yet for this issue. Unfortunately on two of the systems that are seeing the issue, the fix had no effect. It's looking more and more like this has to do with something in either the IE or the base build of the systems...unfortunately there's about 30 or so different builds out there so I'm trying to focus on finding the needle in the haystack for the ones not working. Thanks, Andrew
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 1:18 PM
  • Have you tried checking the language settings on machines? Depending upon SharePoint versions, it doesn’t allow character support and if your SharePoint has myultilingual support, it can create this issue with Office 2003 being the old office. While you can also check language settings in your MS office on machines Just ideas as it is a rare issue. Let us know the outcome of your analysis.

     Thanks

    amukhtar

     

    • Marked as answer by Peng Lei Monday, April 11, 2011 8:57 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andrew Pudlewski Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:15 PM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 12:18 PM
  • Apparently this issue has to do with something on the base build of the desktop machines and nothing to do with SharePoint at all. It's possible that a patch causes the issue to show up.

    At this time, the only fix that I have to get rid of this issue is to replace the user's hdd with a later build (only a few thousand old builds out there.../sigh). Thanks, and if i ever get a chance to pin-point this one, I have this thread noted and will update.

    Andrew

    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 4:15 PM
  • > I have this thread noted and will update.

    In that case you can't also mark is as being solved (which is what it means when the OP (original poster) marks a post as an answer (especially his own)).

    So I'll unmark it.

    If you however decide that you - in spite of your final words - do regret the thread as completed, just mark it yourself again and the next time I see it I will leave your mark in place and lock the thread.

    Moderator


    SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters

    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:12 PM