Inserting barcode from the Barcode Field into document RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

As you know, you can add the value of fields(Site columns) from a Document library into a document by using Quick Parts. I have manged to add Barcode field to the Document library (by going to "Information management and policy settings" of the Library). I can see the generated barcode in the view for a particular item (document). However I cannot add a quick part for the barcode field to the document temaplate of the list, because it does not appear in the list of queck parts to add when you edit the word template of the library.

How can I add the generated barcode to the document?

Thursday, February 4, 2016 12:44 PM

Answers

• Hi Medes,

Only documents which have barcode generated already in the library support to insert the generated barcode to the documents. If the document does not have a barcode generated in the library, we cannot insert the barcode to the document, so we cannot insert the barcode to the document template as it does not have the barcode generated.

I recommend to enable labels for the content type and then add the barcode value column as label to the document template.

After saving the document to the library, the barcode will be generated. And we will see the barcode value when we open the document after that.

Thanks,

Victoria

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 5, 2016 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Medes,

Only documents which have barcode generated already in the library support to insert the generated barcode to the documents. If the document does not have a barcode generated in the library, we cannot insert the barcode to the document, so we cannot insert the barcode to the document template as it does not have the barcode generated.

I recommend to enable labels for the content type and then add the barcode value column as label to the document template.

After saving the document to the library, the barcode will be generated. And we will see the barcode value when we open the document after that.

Thanks,

Victoria

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 5, 2016 9:29 AM
  • Hi Victoria,

Thank you for your reply.
    I am going to test your answer and let you know what will be the results.

I am wondering if I need to uncheck the Barcode part in "Information management and policy settings" or I need to have both "Barcode" and "Labels" checked?

Friday, February 5, 2016 1:40 PM
  • Hi Medes,

Yes, you need to have both checked.

Thanks,

Victoria

Monday, February 8, 2016 2:45 AM