none
System Data Protection Manager DPM Encounter Auto reboot issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Anyone here are using System Data protection Manager and encounter Auto restart issue after Window patching.

Thus i have found out that temporary disabling the DPM & DPMRA Services the auto restart issue will stop on the server from rebooting.

Also Remove the Lan cable and boot into the system with local admin to stop the services, Connect back the Lan do a reboot and Login with domain account.

When i turn is on and access the System manager console all my backup agent failed. i tried to resume but the system immediately hit into issue hang and required a restart.

Error code" Windows has encountered a critical problem and needs to restart in one minute. Please save your work now."

Hope get some answer from expert.

Thanks and regards 

Miles

• Edited by Miles Tan Wednesday, July 3, 2019 2:06 PM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2019 2:01 PM

Answers

• You are currently running on DPM 2012 SP1 (Update Rollup 2), there are newer Update Rollups available, so I would in the first hand make sure to be on the latest Update Rollup.

The latest Update Rollup for DPM 2012 SP1 is Update Rollup 8.

Also check which Windows updates were installed, so that you can identify and read their KB articles, you can find them in the Control Panel > Programs and Features > View installed updates.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Marked as answer by Miles Tan Monday, July 29, 2019 1:57 PM
    Sunday, July 28, 2019 5:04 PM
  • Hi Leon,

Just a friendly sharing.

After going through many troubleshooting step and all kind of way, Today i have manage to find out what are the cause of my DPM restarting.

After i enable Volume Shadow Copy services. The Dpm server is able to back up most of the VM/Server and will not auto restart.

Thus there are 3 services that is required by DPM to be turn on. If not the server will auto restart.

as it can't perform or resume the backup therefore it cause the system to failed with no communication.

1) DPM Services

2) DPMRA Services

3) Volume Shadow Copy services.

Yup , Rollup update also play a part in causing issue if we did not update to the latest version or drop back to older version. A few possibility that will cause issue.

Thanks for sharing information.

Best Regards

Miles

• Edited by Miles Tan Monday, July 29, 2019 2:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Miles Tan Wednesday, July 31, 2019 9:45 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2019 1:55 PM
  • I’m glad to hear that your issue has been resolved, and thanks for sharing with the community!

• Marked as answer by Miles Tan Wednesday, July 31, 2019 9:44 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2019 2:02 PM

All replies

• Hello Miles,

I have never encountered such an issue before, could you tell us a bit more about your environment?

• DPM version and build.
    • DPM server operating system.
    • DPM server physical/virtual.
    • DPM SQL Server version.

Which Windows updates did you install?

Best regards,
    Leon

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 2:13 PM
  • Hi Leon,

Is physical server and version 4.1.3408 service pack1 2012.

Maybe you are able to advise if you encounter same issue.

i suspect is cause by microsoft patches.

Regards

Miles

Sunday, July 28, 2019 12:36 PM
  • You are currently running on DPM 2012 SP1 (Update Rollup 2), there are newer Update Rollups available, so I would in the first hand make sure to be on the latest Update Rollup.

The latest Update Rollup for DPM 2012 SP1 is Update Rollup 8.

Also check which Windows updates were installed, so that you can identify and read their KB articles, you can find them in the Control Panel > Programs and Features > View installed updates.

• Marked as answer by Miles Tan Monday, July 29, 2019 1:57 PM
    Sunday, July 28, 2019 5:04 PM
  • Hi Leon,

Just a friendly sharing.

After going through many troubleshooting step and all kind of way, Today i have manage to find out what are the cause of my DPM restarting.

After i enable Volume Shadow Copy services. The Dpm server is able to back up most of the VM/Server and will not auto restart.

Thus there are 3 services that is required by DPM to be turn on. If not the server will auto restart.

as it can't perform or resume the backup therefore it cause the system to failed with no communication.

1) DPM Services

2) DPMRA Services

3) Volume Shadow Copy services.

Yup , Rollup update also play a part in causing issue if we did not update to the latest version or drop back to older version. A few possibility that will cause issue.

Thanks for sharing information.

Best Regards

Miles

• Edited by Miles Tan Monday, July 29, 2019 2:11 PM
    • Marked as answer by Miles Tan Wednesday, July 31, 2019 9:45 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2019 1:55 PM
  • I’m glad to hear that your issue has been resolved, and thanks for sharing with the community!

• Marked as answer by Miles Tan Wednesday, July 31, 2019 9:44 AM
    Monday, July 29, 2019 2:02 PM