Registry Key Question RRS feed

• Question

• Good day All member:

I am using window 7.

When USB device Plug in to PC, window will register this USB Device.

Before window register this device, it will check through the registery to see wether this device is register before or not,  if yes, it will automatic used the driver register before. If No, it will register and load the driver for this new device.

My question is, can i stop window from searchin throug the register data base, i mean every time i plug in new USB Device, it will install driver for thsi device and don't care wheather this device is register before or not.

Is there any register value change to acheive this?

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:15 AM

All replies

• You could achieve such a result by using the Local Group Policy Editor: read the document at http://www.ampercent.com/stop-windows7-installing-drivers-automatically/5808/.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Good Day Luigi Bruno:

Thanks for the info and help.

But actually I run a production line which have same Model Id But with different Serial number.

Window treat it as a new device because of the serial number make the device unique.

When I want to check my product, every set that plug in to PC, Window will installed driver for this device.   How can i stop window 7 to treat this different serial number same as 1 device?

Thursday, September 20, 2012 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

From the c:\windows\inf\setupapi.dev.log, we can see Windows treats if this is a new device by the USB\VID_***&PID****** indentifier. I don't know if this is the same with the Model ID and the Serial Number as you mentioned.

Based on my experience, the OS is unable to recognize a device if the hardware ID does associated with the class GUID in the registry. And there is no related setting to change it.

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”

Friday, September 21, 2012 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

i am just following up to check if you have any updates on this issue. have you located the hardware ID for the device? you can also check it from the device management.

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.”

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 1:36 AM