Rewrite Calling Party Number with a Mask? RRS feed

• Question

• We use Lync along with CUCM.    Simple setup Lync -> Sip Trunk -> CUCM -> PSTN Gateway.  

Out CUCM desk phones hold the D.I.D. Extensions for the company.   Lync extensions match the D.I.D 4 digit extention except for the 1st number.  (DID ext is 6123, the lync would be 2123).      In every case the Lync ext replaces the 1st 6 with a 2.    This allows for proper routing across the trunk when CM simultaneously rings the lync ext. 

Now when a person makes an outbound call from lync, it would show up at the PSTN as +1aaabbb2123.     What I am looking for is a method to have a Number Mask rewrite the calling party number.    So that I could specify aaabbb6XXX   so that the outbound caller would match the DID for the same user.      Cisco CM has theis feature and I 'm looking for the same in Lync.  

The 'Suppress Caller ID" is not sufficient as it only replaces the entire number.   It does not allow a MASK of any type that I can see.    With this feature, everyone from Lync softphones would have to be 'seen' as the same number.    This won't work in our situation. 

Can this be done?

Monday, April 4, 2011 3:59 PM

Answers

• Lync only allows for replacing the entire CLID with the Suppress Caller ID feature. The manipulations are are describing would have to be done in a gateway between Lync and CUCM.

Regards,

Jamie Schwinn

• Marked as answer by MKOPK Monday, April 4, 2011 4:52 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 4:48 PM

All replies

• Lync only allows for replacing the entire CLID with the Suppress Caller ID feature. The manipulations are are describing would have to be done in a gateway between Lync and CUCM.

Regards,

Jamie Schwinn

• Marked as answer by MKOPK Monday, April 4, 2011 4:52 PM
    Monday, April 4, 2011 4:48 PM
  • Yep - that's what I thought.  

Monday, April 4, 2011 4:53 PM
  • Hi MKOPK,

I am having the same situation the only difference here is we have Avaya and you have CISCO. would you please let me know the normalization pattern to match and translation rules and how you have solved your problem. In your environment Lync client has the same DID which CISCO users has with addition of ;ext=xxxx or Lync client has only the extension they do not have any DID. how you have replaced the first number from 6 to 2 in LYNC and how you have solved the problem while calling out side.

Thanx

SKHATRI
    Saturday, April 23, 2011 8:20 PM
  • I added a calling party mask to the SIP trunk between lync and CM configured on the CM.   It takes any number dialed from the lync side and scrapes the leading 8 numbers.  Then, as a prefix,  I add areacode+prefix+digit to the remaining 3 numbers.     I have no idea what the Avaya equivalent of that would be however.
    Monday, April 25, 2011 1:59 PM
  • i still didnt understand your answer.

can you tell me that is their any DID on the Lync ro the DID is at Cisco only

if their is no DID on the lync then their should be 3 or 4 digit extensions

if their is no DID on the CISCO then the cisco is working as a geteway only?

if lync has only extension then what numbers users are seeing the DID which is the CISCO or only the extension

how about normalization rule can you provide me that how many normalization rules you have created

can you provide me what you have done in the external prefix

if a user has to dial 9 then the external number how is it normalizaed and given in the Lync

thanx

SKHATRI
    Monday, April 25, 2011 2:07 PM
  • The DID is cisco only.  i.e. 555-555-6111

If the cisco ext is 6111 then then lync extension is 2111.

Lync needed 1 E.164 format of +15555552111 in order to route calls through the trunk.   We don't own the numbers for 2111, so we needed to change oubound lync calls to match the real DID  555-555-2111 had to become 555-555-6111. 

Lync server does not have this ability, so I used an all cisco solution where in the Cisco Call manager, I opted to mask all caller IDs that originated from the Lync Sip trunk changing +15555552111 to 5555556111.    Once that number is masked correctly, the Call manager has all the rules to forward the call.   The CUCM is the hub of the communications, so it has the path's to the other SIP hosts and to the PSTN.   The CM handles all routing and normalization.      Including adding the outbound prefix for an external line.    So all lync calls come into CM over the trunk.  CM handles the routing and changes the number as needed before routing (i.e. adding 8 for outbound). 

Monday, April 25, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Great Thanx dude i totally understood. please correct me if i am wrong. In your lync you have given the DID but the last digits are first digit of the lync extension is 2 instead of 6 correct.

Would you let me know that have you used the external Prefix option in the Lync

in my case when ever a user has to make a call to outside they have to press 9 first and then the local number how can i acheive this in the Lync

in my case when a user has to make international calls they have to dial 9 then international number with 00 not with + and then #and then  6 digit pin number i.e. 900178965432178#123456 how can i achieve this.

20 users should allow to make internaltional calls and rest of the users can make calls locally. how can i acheive this any idea

I really appreciate your quick response and thanx for explaining your scenario

Thanks and Regards

SKHATRI
    Monday, April 25, 2011 4:43 PM

• I did use the company's prefix in Lync.   IT wouldn't matter if I did or didn't though.   Theoretically, I could have use all 3 if I wanted to (i.e. 333-333-2111).   Since the CUCM changes the number when it comes across the sip trunk.  

In Lync I don't use any external prefix options.   I pass the call over sip and into CUCM.   The CUCM dail patterns match the number to internal extensions or an external number.   If it is External, then CUCM add the '8' for outbound calls and routes to the PSTN gateway.   I let CUCM decide if it is internal or external. In Lync, every number is a e.164 format number whether its internal or external.

The international calling thing is interesting.    Right now, all my callers have the same rights when dieling outbound.   The Calling search space is the same for all lync users.     I set it up this way sop that I can use Simultaneous ring between desk phone and lync phone.    I wouldn't know how to apply different dial plans to calls one it comes across the SIP trunk.    It seems to me you would need Lync to determine who is allowed to call international. 

Monday, April 25, 2011 4:49 PM
  • Thanx for your explanation and your quick response i really appreciated. as what i have understood is that you have used the +333333 for the lync and the you have input the same number to your users in AD right?

i am tyring to playing with the dialing rule and voice policies once i will be successfully then i will let you know for sure.

for the simultaneous ring i think you didnt train the users regarding the extension numbers of lync because usually they dial the extension number of CISCO and cisco do the sim ring on cisco phone and the Lync phone right

what number does the user see when they see the contact card of the user in they Lync is it Lync extension or is it Cisco DID.

Thanks

SKHATRI
    Monday, April 25, 2011 5:00 PM