none
MDT Offline Media RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create an Offline Media USB stick. However once the USB installs the Operating System I want to be able to remove the USB media.

With the current standard client task sequence, if I remove the USB stick, at first sign in, I get the message nt. In my Task Sequence I have disabled the State Restore but have copied across a few important tasks such as Post-Apply Cleanup, Next Phase.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

LD

Monday, September 4, 2017 5:39 AM

All replies

• While I myself do not see a scenario why you would want to skip processing of State Restore tasks, MDT is setting a few registry entries that you need to get rid of. Based on the information I got from LiteTouch.vbs, you would need to cleanup following items:

Sub CleanupStartItems

' Clean up the run registry entry (if it exists)

On Error Resume Next
                                   oShell.RegDelete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\LiteTouch"
                                   On Error Goto 0

' Clean up the shortcut (if it exists)

If oFSO.FileExists(oShell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersStartup") & "\LiteTouch.lnk") then

oFSO.DeleteFile oShell.SpecialFolders("AllUsersStartup") & "\LiteTouch.lnk"

End if

On Error Resume Next

oShell.RegWrite "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\AutoAdminLogon", "0", "REG_SZ"

On Error Goto 0

oLogging.CreateEntry "CleanStartItems Complete", LogTypeInfo

End Sub

Also, you might want to delete MININT folder located on the C:\ drive. So, to sum it up:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\LiteTouch
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\AutoAdminLogon
    • %AllUsersStartup%\LiteTouch.lnk
    • C:\MININT

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Monday, September 4, 2017 7:07 AM
  • This scenario; boot with USB, install OS from USB, reboot, continue installation from network is not supported.

Instead, I would recommend using the %DeploymentShare%\boot\litetouchPE_x64.iso image to create a 'mini' USB boot image, and have MDT continue installation with OS and State restore from the network.

There is some trickery with the variables set within LiteTOuch.wsf, modification is not tested nor supported.

-k

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 4:55 AM
  • Hi Keith, in my scenario, we'd like to skip the restoration of user data completely.

The aim is purely to prep a computer with the company image so a brand new user is ready to logon.

We require a pure USB deployment method as our branch offices don't have strong WAN links and investing in OnPrem is a scenario we're moving away from.

Thank you for the input.

LD

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 10:41 PM
  • As Keith stated, modifying MDT to such degree is not recommended in terms of supportability.

Long story short: I would work around your requirement by disabling items in State Restore phase and keep the USB connected to a system until the final summary screen shows up (and you could even automate that bit with SkipFinalSummary=YES and FinalAction=Shutdown in your CustomSettings.ini). Alternative: edit unattend.xml plus remove all references I posted above, but this way is in no ways supported and your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Thursday, September 7, 2017 5:04 AM