How to get workflow task history for reporting purposes? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -

I'm trying to generate a report on completed workflows on one of our sites.   Basically trying to find the best way to extract Task History, workflow info (e.g., create date, approver, etc) on all completed workflows.   What would be the best approach for getting this data?    thanks

Thursday, October 31, 2019 11:20 AM

All replies

• Hi XRS.

The SharePoint Workflow History list is hidden but it can be accessed at the below URL

http://yoursite/Lists/Workflow%20History/AllItems.aspx

where "yoursite" must be replaced by the full URL of the SharePoint site.
    It is a standard SharePoint list, therefore you can perform filtering operations by using the SharePoint UI or it can be exported to Excel for further processing.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Thursday, October 31, 2019 11:27 AM
  • Thanks Luigi.   I had already tried getting to that but I get a page not found.  I'm using the full URL.     There is a Workflow Tasks list under Site Contents, maybe I need to modify the view on this and get the info I need.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 1:12 PM
  • Thanks Luigi.   I had already tried getting to that but I get a page not found.  I'm using the full URL.     There is a Workflow Tasks list under Site Contents, maybe I need to modify the view on this and get the info I need.

The Task list is different from the History list, of course. You can modify the view for each list according to you needs.
    Try browsing the History list without the "AllItems.aspx" at the end of the URL; check the permission of the account you're using, too.

Bye.

Luigi Bruno
    MCP, MOS, MTA, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE

Thursday, October 31, 2019 1:27 PM
  • Hi XRS,

As Luigi said, please ensure you go to the history list through URL like below:

http://[servername]/[sitename]/lists/Workflow%20History

If you find any reply helpful to you, please remember to mark it as answer.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, November 1, 2019 9:17 AM
  • Hi XRS,

I’m checking how the things are going on about this issue. Whether the post helps you?

You can mark the post as answer if it helps.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Monday, November 4, 2019 8:05 AM
  • No luck.   I'm using the farm admin account and can't seem to find this WF history list anywhere.   Basically we have a PowerBI user who wants to pull in some list data such as approver/approved date etc from an SP list.  
    Tuesday, November 5, 2019 7:23 PM
  • Hi XRS,

Please check the workflow history list whether existing from below PowerShell:

$oSiteUrl = "<SiteURL>"

$oListName = "<ListName>"

$oSite = Get-SPSite $oSiteUrl

$oWeb = $oSite.RootWeb

$list = $oWeb.Lists.TryGetList($oListName)

if($list -ne $null)

{

Write-Host "List Exists"

}

else

{

Write-Host : "List Does Not Exists"

}

And Please note the space of the the listname:Workflow History

Best regards,

Julie

Wednesday, November 6, 2019 12:13 PM