Enable UM for an ONprem Exchange and S4b 2015 user without desk phone RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How do i configure Voicemail capabilities if the user's mailbox and S4B is hosted in ONprem in a Exchange HYbrid environment, if the user does not have a deskphone 

Monday, January 28, 2019 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

Welcome to the Exchange Server forum. This forum is for questions and feedback related to Exchange server. Since your question is more related to Lync, I'll move it to a more appropriate forum: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=sfbfr

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 29, 2019 2:39 AM
  • Hi MS Follower,

Based on my research, it is supported to enable voicemail in the Hybrid environment. After you deploy the voicemail and UM, user could use it and do not need desk phone. 

According to the official document, when you’re deploying Exchange UM in a hosted or hybrid environment, you must deploy session border controllers (SBCs). SBCs don’t enable UM to connect to a telephony network or provide a dial tone for an organization. However, they do connect your on-premises UM deployment to a datacenter using the IP protocol over a public or private WAN. Please note about this. Details you could refer to the following official document: Deploying voice mail and UM

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by woshixiaobai Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:26 AM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2019 5:21 AM
  • Hi MS Follower,

Is there any update for this issue? If the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have the similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 5:26 AM
  • Hi,

UM is already deployed. But what i dont understand is the "Work flow" of how it will be working when the user do not have a desk phone and SKype for business acts as a phone system and UM is integrated with Exchange role.ONce i know the work flow, i can then easily resolve this issue where the incoing PSTN calls to this user does not leave a VM behind

Monday, February 4, 2019 3:26 PM
  • Hi MS Follower,

You could refer to the following document to find the details about the practice: Best Practice - Connecting to Exchange Online Unified Messaging (UM)

According to the document, Exchange Online UM-generated Message Waiting Indications (MWI) is supported by the SBC Edge via the Skype for Business Online Phone System.

• The SBC does not directly communicate with the Exchange Online UM platform; rather the SBC receives an MWI from the Exchange Online UM via the Skype for Business Server deployed on-premises.
    • The SBC forwards the MWI to the legacy PBX when received.
    • The Legacy PBX is responsible for lighting the MWI indicator on the relevant subtended phone client.
    • The SBC forwards the MWI clearing i

Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft can make no representation concerning the content of these sites. Microsoft is providing this information only as a convenience to you: this is to inform you that Microsoft has not tested any software or information found on these sites and therefore cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software on the Internet.

Best Regards,
    Evan Jiang

• Edited by woshixiaobai Wednesday, February 6, 2019 7:44 AM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 7:43 AM
  • THank you Evan for sharing the knowledge.

I have created a MS case for now and lets see where we go with that. I will reply on this thread once i have the exact resolution

Monday, February 11, 2019 4:41 PM