none
Unable to download & configure office 2016 professional plus using setup.exe RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Office 2016 Professional plus version. It's not Office 365 version. I have downloaded an online bootstrapper.

I am not sure why setup.exe /download download.xml won't work. It will never start a download. The same download.xml would work with click2run setup.

Same is the case for configure install.xml.

Appreciate if you folks can point out what is wrong here?

Content of download.xml

<Configuration>
     <Add OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="Broad">
        <Product ID="ProPlusRetail">
          <Language ID="en-us" />
        </Product>
     </Add>
    </Configuration>

Regards, Navdeep

• Edited by singh83 Wednesday, July 17, 2019 1:28 PM
    Wednesday, July 17, 2019 1:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Navdeep,

From your information and screenshot, it seems you want to use ODT to install Office 2016 Professional Plus. Where did you buy Office 2016?

I suggest you can refer to those links to see if it helps:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-the-office-2016-deployment-tool

https://www.ronnipedersen.com/2015/09/22/deploying-office-2016-using-the-click-to-run-deployment-tool/

Maybe you can try the following .xml file:

<Configuration>

<Add OfficeClientEdition="64" >

<Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">

<Language ID="en-us" />

</Product>

</Add>

</Configuration>

If your Office 2016 is Professional Plus Volume License, you can use OCT to install it. Refer to: https://support.pdq.com/knowledge-base/1237

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

Thursday, July 18, 2019 8:32 AM
  • Hi Bella,

I download the installer from our microsoft office account. It lists down all the purchases. It's not office 365 portal but similar to it.

The xml that you specified, it's for 0365, we don't have that. I will try with ODT 2016 and let you know how it goes.

Regards, Navdeep

Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:31 PM
  • The version we are using is HomeBusinessRetail

http://techgenix.com/office-2016-deployment-tool-customization/

Regards, Navdeep

Thursday, July 18, 2019 11:39 PM
  • Hi Navdeep,

Since you said your Office version is HomeBusinessRetail, I suspect it is Office 2016 home and business. Your product ID should be “Product ID= “HomeBusinessRetail”.

And since the "Borad" channel is only for Office 365, you should delete the "Channel = Borad" element in your download.xml.

I suggest you can try the following Downlaod.xml file:

<Configuration>

<Add OfficeClientEdition="64" >

<Product ID="HomeBusinessRetail">

<Language ID="en-us" />

</Product>

</Add>

</Configuration>

In addition, I think you need to change the run command.

For download Office 2016 home and business, if your configuration file is Download.xml, you maybe should type this command to download it: (C:\Users\Adminstartor\Downloads is your path to the ODT and Download.xml file)

(C:\Users\Adminstartor\Downloads>)Setup.exe /download Download.xml

And typeing this command to install Office 2016 home and business:

Setup.exe /configure Download.xml

You can refer to this article for how to use ODT:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-the-office-2016-deployment-tool

Regards,

Bella Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019. 

Friday, July 19, 2019 6:48 AM
  • Hi Bela,

I was able to download & install the office using ODT rather than the setup that i downloaded (because i need to only install select packages).

It appears that i got a wrong version. It should have been Office 2016 Professional Plus.

Here is the screenshot using Home & Business version

Here is the screenshot using setup from the our account

Regards, Navdeep

Sunday, July 21, 2019 4:11 AM
  • Hi Navdeep,

From this screenshot I can confirm this product use Click-to-Run installation technology. And If you want to install it by ODT, the product ID should be “O365ProPlusRetail”, because version 1906 Build 11727.20244 is monthly channel of Office 365 Proplus. You can review this in Update history for Office 365 ProPlus (listed by date)

So, where dose the screenshot come from? How is it installed successfully? From this screenshot it seems need activation. How did you purchased this product? Have you got a product key to activate it?

From your first post I think your configuration file should be changed as:

<Configuration>

<Add OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel= “Monthly” >

<Product ID="O365ProPlusRetail">

<Language ID="en-us" />

</Product>

</Add>

</Configuration>

Then run the command to install it:

Setup.exe /download Download.xml

Setup.exe /configure Download.xml

Please refer to my above replies.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Monday, July 22, 2019 10:12 AM
  • Hi Navdeep,

Is there any updates of you?

If my reply is useful, please mark it as an answer. If you need further assistance, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Bella Wu

Thursday, July 25, 2019 3:19 AM