none
Update Bios MDT Task Sequence RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I am running MDT 2012 Update 1. Using all Dell Machines. I need some advice on where to install the BIOS updates during my task sequence. I am running everything locally off of a USB flash drive.

We press f12 to boot into USB, WinPE starts and the selection of the task sequences are available. I want to know if it is wise to update the BIOS of the machine before? If so, once it updates and restarts will MDT resume where it left off or will it start from scratch before installing Windows 7??

Thank you all!

Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:49 PM

All replies

• Hi! Thank you for that link. 

I have it all setup in my task sequence. I have the upgrade right after the first group in MDT Initialization. I am able to change the sata operation from ATA to AHCI since we are upgrading to Windows 7. Right after the sata operation change I added the Dell BIOS update and right after a restart prompt. The task sequence failed.

**Failed to save environment to (80070057)**

I am wanting to update the BIOS in the preinstall phase, restart and then apply the windows 7 image. Is this possible?

Friday, March 28, 2014 1:46 PM
  • Heid - I actually use the older script written by Mikael Nystrom - Step-by-Step: Upgrading BIOS during LiteTouch Deployment, for Dell, Hewlett-Packard and Lenovo

This uses a VBScript to run.  I have it set up to run in the Initialization Phase, immediately after the Gather step.

I've customized it to only update Dell servers as I am not updating clients.  You do have to be sure that you are using the proper version, ex: WN32 or WN64, based on your WinPE version.

For example, a WN32 file will not run if you are running WN64, as there is no WoW64 support in WinPE.  This can be restrictive, especially since Dell just started released both within the last year (for servers that is).

Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:21 AM
  • Thank you! I recently saw that post which you mentioned this weekend along with this one on Dell's website. Do you have thoughts on which approach is better??

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/w/wiki/dell-bios-upgrades-for-enterprise-clients-with-microsoft-system-center-configuration-manager-2007.aspx

I'm wondering though if I have this run right after the Gather step (which I want), and restart before applying windows 7 if MDT will resume where I left off since it is off of a usb drive? I dont want to start the task sequence from start again because it will keep looping... What are your thoughts?

Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:37 AM
  • They're the same general script, Mikael's uses some of the built-in functions in MDT and it logs to the deployment share.

When I perform my BIOS updates, it does not immediately reboot, so it will update all pieces, then continue to the next phase and reboot after installing Windows.  I have yet to see an issue.

Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:43 AM
  • I will give this a try on Monday. In addition I am leveraging CCTK to change the SATA operation of our machines from ATA to AHCI. I am placing a restart after this change because it will be needed before I apply windows 7 to these machines. So we will see if MDT is smart enough to resume where it left off.. If it doesnt then this automated approach of changing the SATA operation and upgrading the BIOS automatically is really of no use for our technicians out in the field...
    Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:52 AM
  • I referred to this article

http://deployhappiness.com/adding-bios-updates-to-your-imaging-process/

I was able to import the different BIOS exe and apply them after laying down windows 7. I was unsuccessful in updating the BIOS during the preinstall WinPE phase which I prefer....

Monday, March 31, 2014 3:14 PM
  • I would also like to add a simple way to update Lenovo's Bios during deployment using update retriever and thininstaller. I am assuming you have these installed and working. In the update retriever you can modify the bios package switch from -r to -s for silent and then put a restart after in your task sequence. that's it, pretty slick and easy. Hope this helps anyone updating lenovo's bios.

-tip

Monday, March 31, 2014 4:00 PM