none
Project online preview - can't create a project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I just signed up for Project Online preview, and I just can't create a project. What I do is:

1. Click the "Create or import project" tile

2. Enter a name

then comes a popup saying "Start a new project - hold on, creating the project" and a progress circle runs. And keeps running for 20 mins (that's the maximum I tried).

When I close that one, the project IS listed in the "Project Center", but when clicking it I receive an error message: "Unable to open the project. The project has not been properly initialized."

I tried in IE, chrome. Tried to close all browser windows, and restarted the computer.

Any help is much appreciated!

Best,
    Andreas

• Moved by Alexander.BurtonModerator Monday, November 12, 2012 11:14 AM Online question (From:Project Standard and Professional General Questions and Answers)
    Friday, November 9, 2012 11:16 AM

All replies

• Hi Andreas,

There are a couple of things to check:

1. Has the Project Online tenant finished provisioning?

2. What can you see in the queue for your project server instance, to get there go to the Gear icon > PWA Settings > Manage Queue and see what jobs are in there. Have any failed / stalled? If so what error are they showing?

The problem you are seeing is unlikely to be your computer. 

Finally, there is a dedicated support forum for Project Online, which I will move this message into, to make sure the right people get to see the post and can respond.

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Monday, November 12, 2012 11:14 AM
  • Check the queue as Alex has suggested. If you can see no error or "waiting to be processed" message, then it is quit possible your project was created, but not all the steps worked out. Try the following:

Start Project Professional, click File > Open and try to find the project in the enterprise projects list. If it's there: open it and publish it.

Does the project appear in Project Center?

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 11:13 PM
  • I had a similiar issue.  The create project from PWA doesn't see complete.  I found that I can force checkin the project and then open the project from Project Professional 2013.  Once I open, I can update the project, save and publish.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:08 AM
  • Hi Andreas, is this now working for you?

Best regards,

Brian

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Sunday, January 20, 2013 3:20 PM
    Owner