Content Query web part document links behaviour RRS feed

• Question

• We've got a weird issue where document links behave differently. We have a Content Query web part on a page which filters on documents which the user currently has checked out. Unfortunately, when they click on the document link, it gives them a Open/Save/Save As dialogue, then opens it with the yellow check out bar at the top of the document. If they click on the bar, it gives them an error saying that it is checked out by 'another user'. If they open the document from the library it lives in directly, they don't get this issue.Additionally, If I paste the link to the document into Word's Open dialogue it opens fine with no check out yellow banner.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, January 5, 2016 2:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Robin,

First make sure you sign in with the account who check out the document in Word application. To ensure this, go to Internet options > Security tab > check the option “Automatic logon with current user name and password” for Internet, local intranet and Trusted sites.

Or you can configure Office Web Apps to let documents open in browser to avoid the issue.

You can also check the following link to see if this is because of write lock:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/899709

Best regards,                                                                                                         

Aaren liu

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:47 AM

All replies

• Hi Robin,

According to your description, the content query web part shows checked out documents, when you click the document link, it gives an open/save dialogue and a yellow check out bar at the top of it.

I have done test in my environment.

I use Account A to check out a document, then I use Account B to click the document link. The issue is reproduced both from content query web part and directly from the library. The issue occurs because after one user checks out a document, the document cannot be edited by other users or checked out again.

To avoid the issue, make sure the account you are using to click document link is the account who check out the document.

Best regards,

Aaren liu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 10:35 AM
  • Hi Aaron, The problem is that it is the same user account accessing it as has it checked out, so I don't think that's applicable here.
    Wednesday, January 6, 2016 10:55 AM
  • Hi Robin,

First make sure you sign in with the account who check out the document in Word application. To ensure this, go to Internet options > Security tab > check the option “Automatic logon with current user name and password” for Internet, local intranet and Trusted sites.

Or you can configure Office Web Apps to let documents open in browser to avoid the issue.

You can also check the following link to see if this is because of write lock:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/899709

Best regards,                                                                                                         

Aaren liu

Wednesday, January 13, 2016 10:47 AM